Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Origin B2 or Snooper S6-R

Alan L

After getting a "smile your on candid camera" letter through at the weekend *mad*,I have been looking at the possibility getting a camera detector.

Having had a quick look the ones that seem the best to go for are the Origin B2 or the Snooper S6-R. Both look around the same price with similar specs.

I am inclined towards the Snooper as it looks like it will be easier to switch between cars.

Anyone got any experience of these devices?

Alan and his Yellow and Green BDR.

Just bought an Origin B2 from Julian who posts here regularly. Not installed it yet but it worked really well in the spare car just resting on the dash. You can get a spare cradle to install in a second car which would make swopping really easy.

No experience of Snoopers but aren't they radar detectors rather than a GPS based database system like the Origin? If so then you will miss Truvelo scameras and specs cameras amongst others.

Origin will have a radar detector add on in July for only an extra £80 so you get best of both worlds, bet you won't be able to bolt on a GPS system to a radar detector for that little.

My mate tells me you can also bolt on a laser jammer to the Origin to keep you safe against mobile laser scameras. But of course I wouldn't dream of doing that myself as the legality is a bit uncertain.....

I'd go for the Origin, well I did in fact.

As a Road Angel user for the past year or so, I'd recommend the B2 as well (would have bought that rather than the RA if it had been available).

I just don't fancy radar detectors because of the potential for false alerts and their inability to cope with new technology (e.g. average speed sections).

OK, a GPS detector is only as good as its database, but I've not had any surprises (other than one or two dummy/not yet commissioned boxes in towns).

Not too impressed by laser-detector add-ons though - consensus seems to be that unless you've picked up some scatter from some poor sod up ahead, then if the alarm goes off, you've already been tagged...

...and my RA version does produce false alerts from laser-links between communications towers etc...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Chelsped the Snooper S6-R is a new device and includes not only a Laser and Radar detector but is also a GPS device. So according to the advertising blurb it covers all options in a single device.

See here for specs.

I'm in the fortunate position of having run with a road angel and a snooper in my car since November 03.Both supplied by Halfords

Road Angel was good, display is clear and portablility very good when transfering from car to car. I found quality of the kit to be less good, so much so that I had a number of problems with the GPS "locking out" leaving a blank display. I swapped to the Snooper in January......

Snooper feels more substantial but costs more, mine has the seperate Radar option as well. You then have to fit 2 boxes on the dashboard, although radar box can be grill mounted and then wiring run into cockpit to connect to GPS device. The display is poor in bright sunlight and the menu system can be quite cumbersome to access when you are on the move.

Snooper identifies, Gatso, Specs, Truvelo and laser. I'm less than happy with its performance when dealing with laser and it often picks up stray signals. Snooper require monthly dd for an update service (GPS has built in modem) I think Road Angel ofer a free update service .

Last month Snooper launched a new model with combined GPS and laser at a lower price ! This may also be worth a look.

Regds

Rich

The s6r as the advantage of being able to plug into the phone line as it has a built in modem, you use the screen to easily down load the info from the site and if you have made note of any black spot or new camera sites you can upload this info and share it with others, on the s6r the first 6 months are free and the charge is then £4.95 per month from then on, there is a pay two years option which saves you mone but not a great deal. As someone has mentioned the s6r can be taken to any car and used but the radar detector part comes with it if installed loose or if it is fixed it stays in that car. The south of England, mainly Dorset and the top end of Wales are the two places that at present are hanging on to Radar guns when the rest of the country has gone to laser.

The next one down from snooper is the s4, this is very compact with a small round clear plastic bit on top that detects the laser devices 360deg, but the unit does not do radar, nice clear display with audible alert as well, the cheaper still s3 is the same but the display uses a number of LEDs to show the distance of the device etc.

The Road angle is a little out of date price wise but still a good unit but the orgin b2 is winning all the test at present.

Simple, if you want everthing inc radar.....s6r, if you want a good unit with laser the s4 or the b2.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR