Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

16 inch to 13 inch Wheels

Stuart Wallace

I have a Vx HPC with a Swindon 225 head and I am about to change my 16inch HPC wheels for 13inch Superlites. What’s the best size to go for, 13X6 at the front with 13X7 at the rear? I have been told that I should shod them with Yoko 32s 185 front and 205 rear. What do you lot think? I should add that Paul Harvey has recommended 13X6 all round with 185 front and 205 rear, I just like the look of the wide rear wheels!!

Edited by - Stuart Wallace on 25 May 2001 19:42:47

I have the same, 6x13, 185s front & 7x13's 205s rear on 021's.

Nice balance when warm and VX grunt lets you play at low revs even with more rear rubber.

I don't find the 021's particulary good in the wet. In the dry they are fine giving consistent grip and break away...

I've found the 21Rs to be very good in the wet, much much better than the Pilots I used to run (so I guess it depends what you're comparing them too).

Neither tyre was especially good in lots of standing water, so I'm assuming this is down to the 7 (weight, or lack of, perhaps). Or maybe that it's possible to hit it much quicker if you're not very careful...

I'm not sure you'll find a vastly better all round tyre. Avon CR500s are probably the only ones in with a shout, but at 100 quid rather than about 60 quid a corner (and possibly a higher wear rate), I'm not about to try them...

I'm looking to do the same as well, when the boss lets me. A new bathroom, or new wheels and tyres..... guess which one has to come first?

Anyway, stupid question probably, but can you get away without changing the cycle wings, or do you really need to opt for the smaller wings when downsizing wheels.

I can't make up my mind whether to swap 16" Michilens for SO2's or just got for smaller wheels and A032R's.

Matt Sullivan

Errr.....no, but, I've just been on to Caterham, and I'm confused.

I asked for a price on 2 13x6 and 2 13x7 rims and A032R's. The guy said that they didn't do 13x7 Minators. I asked him what Superlites were, and he said they were another name for Minators! Is this correct, or are Superlites totally different rims?

If so, do I need to source them from elsewhere ??

cheers, Matt.

Minators are, I think, "copy" Minilites made by KN wheels.

I think Minilites were the "original" wheel in this sort of design (8 spoke).

Superlites are another version of the same.

I'm pretty certain there'll be other places doing similar designs (Compomotive for example, whose ML wheel is similar...

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 31 May 2001 17:30:18

• 3 weeks later...

My 13" rims and A032R's arrived the day before I left for Spa.

Thanks to all those that persuaded me to change from 16" Michilin Pilots - the difference in the car's ride and handling was unbelievable.

The extra grip was amazing too. (Until the rain came.)

cheers, Matt.