Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series Cam cover gasket - Apollo installation

zak

I know this has been done to death *eek* but want to be sure...

Weather permitting ( outside garage job I think ) on Sunday 16th I intend to fit an Apollo tank to my K series VVC. Gulp! At the same time I am going to change the sump baffle and fit a new thermostat and radtec rad. Got two mates coming to help me so perhaps we'll get it all done - perhaps not.

Question - Is a new cam cover gasket required? I am also uncertain EXACTLY where to drill the side of the cam cover to fit the breather pipe ( got my threadlock ready 😬 *thumbup*)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Zak

www.zak7.com here

You will propably be able to re-use the cam cover gasket. The correct location for drilling is between the 1st and 2nd bolt holes on the side of the cam cover (exhaust side)nearer the 2nd. Start with a small drill and work up. Make sure you use thread lock for securing, there's been one or two horror stories about the nut coming loose.

Phil S7 SVN

The cam cover gasket is a brick **** house job I've had my engine apart more times than youve had hot dinners and its still on original cam cover gasket even with one of Joules's snazzy cam covers. and it is 100% leak free. 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AO.For my sins

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services N.I.

Thank you, everyone for your help. Oh and thanks Angus for the pics. If it EVER stops raining then I can do this job my garage is tiny - just - get the car in not work on it.

Many thanks - wish me luck!

Zak

www.zak7.com here

Following a suggestion on here a while ago, I fitted the fitting in the cam cover from the "inside" out - so the nut is on the outside of the cam cover so the nut is the first holding device and the actual fitting on the end of the breather hose is a backup if the nut loosens.

You may want more room to work on the car - I ended up taking the alternator off and taking an angle grinder to the corner of the block/ladder to gain enough clearance for me to be happy to pass the hoses through without chafing.

Bri

Bricol - that sounds like a plan. Will be using your wicked little bleed T piece on Sunday too - as gonna get serious with the Rad and thermostat too.

Many thanks for all the tips. Hope it stays dry! *cool*

Zak

www.zak7.com here