Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X-flow misfire - Help needed please.

Big Brother

Help!

I have just bought a 1700cc SS with around 2K on the clock (new engine)

The car fires up OK and idles very sweetly at 1000 revs.

)The plugs look the right colour)

Acceleration is good and the engine sounds very sweet......

Untill I have been driving for about 10 minutes, then the idle speed rises to 2000 revs (this can be "pulled" down by dragging with the clutch in first), the engine starts to loose power and misfires badly, no pops or bangs, just no power - making it a real struggle to get over 3000 revs.

I have a slightly weepy radiator but the coolant level does not seem to drop too much (only what spits out the overflow pipe) and the water does not boil over.

The temp gauge is shot (new one on order) - however the engine does not seem excessively hot).

If the car is left for a while the misfire disapears - only to return after a few minutes of driving.

ANY advice appreciated as this weather is too good to missbiggrin.gif

Make sure the throttle cable is well oiled, duck oil is the stuff for the job.

On the 1700 xflows, with high compression, the plugs sometimes go off, happend to a mate the other night. Symptons are, a miss fire when hot. This happens before the plugs give up for good. So even though the plugs look ok, try changing them. You can try with road plugs initially (cheaper than race ones) that will give you an indication if it is a plug problem.

Failing that, give Roger King a call, he will be able to point you in the right direction.

Check the distributer is not moving, check the timing. Make sure the throttle cable is not sticking. Check the carbs closing ok when the throttle is released.

Are you running unleaded with a leaded distributer?

Ask Roger King

Dave,

I have just bought the car and have a receipt for work done to convert the car to unleaded fuel. It mentions a new head with inserts but not the distributor.

The first thing I did on the way home was fill her up.....with unleaded!(misfire started about 15 mins later..DOH)

Do you know what the differences are for unleaded dizzys?