Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow idle concern

Al Crickmore

Chaps.

The idle on my XFlow (SuperSprint) has decided to drop to 600-700 from the normal 1000 ish. If you ask me it sounds well sick, almost gasping for breath.It still goes okay under acceleration though, like a monster in fact. Is this anything serious sounding or is it dirty carbs or something like that? Help. I don't want my car to die.....I've just got used to the old boy.

Regards.

Alex

1700 Super Sprint smile.gif

oops....there goes another hat teeth.gif

If the engine still sounds even and not as if it is faltering on one cylinder, I would just adjust the idle speed and assume that the adjuster has moved spontaneously.

Otherwise, check that the spark plugs are not fouled (depending on fuel used), the carb balance hasn't moved (I once saw a 'trained' mechanic for a breakdown company confuse the idle adjuster and the balance adjuster!)

If these are OK, then check that an idle jet hasn't got blocked by whipping them out and doing a visual inspection - and also check the idle mixture screws - but note there position and number of turns out before you start.

If still no joy, do a compression test - else seek a more knowledgable source smile.gif

Cheers,

Graham

Check the throttle cable where it goes through into the foot box and make sure the nuts are tight on either side, they can shake loose. Sounds more like the idle screw as said before.One tip when setting idle screw.(It works for me). As the screw is spring loaded, ie a spring round the thread, set it up by turning up the idle too far and then backing off till revs are at your desired tickover (around 950), The effect of this is to take the tension off the spring and prevent it from self adjusting the idle screw for you.

Happy motoring thumbsup.gif. C7 WJW

Something simple to check - pull each HT lead off in turn and see if the engine note changes. If on one cylinder the engine note doesn't change then it could just be the HT lead breaking down on that cylinder only.

BTW a good tip though is to let the wife/girlfriend do this for you as you can't half get a belt from the lead if you are not careful!

Brent