Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2 weeks of 7 heaven then this...

Matt Harrison

As a 1st time owner of a 7 and a non-techy type I'm hoping to get some sound advice...I recently purchased a ’96 Classic SE with 1700X/flow engine with Weber 45's and around 10K miles on the clock. On Monday I took it to a rolling road (Power Engineering) that were recommended to get the carbs balanced, at about 5-5500 rpm oil started to go everywhere. They traced it to the oil pump that had worked loose, so changed the gasket, cleaned things up & put it back together and tried again. They have called me telling me of a distant knocking sound that they think is coming from the crank. They seem to think it may need a crank grind & bearings, etc and recommended I contact Vulcan which I've done, they are quoting £110 for the grind and £300 labour+VAT if I drop the engine off. As I have no facilities to remove/replace the engine he pointed me to James Whiting, they are quoting £300+fliuds+VAT...at nearly a £1000 my question is, will this be a long term fix or is it going to be money down the plug, delaying the inevitable death of what was a v.sweet sounding engine? Is this a reasonable price? Should I look at a new engine, if so what about going the Zetec route and what is a realistic price of this option. Any advise greatly appreciated...I want to get out there and enjoy the sun while it lasts! Thanx matt sad.gif

On the Zetec front, I just did a rough quote and your looking at 2.4k with out the engine for parts and labour. I've heard you can get 2nd hand engines for as low as 500 quid. So Zetec will cost at least 3k for a non techy person (i.e paying someone else!)

Hope that helps.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

The Ford crossflow engine is pretty bombproof, esp with the low amount of miles done. They can go wrong (usually piston trouble) but as with all Doctor/Patient relationships get a second opinion before throwing loadsa money around. My 30.000 miler had a mild knocking noise, which although it sounded like a big end, was only a loose engine mounting under the carbs,causing a vibration on the crank case. A quick tweek with the spanner and all is well.

Roger King is apparantly the guru on all matters crossflow, he has certainly helped me, and his postings are always worth reading.

Hope you get sorted quickly as it is glorious blatting weather cool.gif.

Happy motoring thumbsup.gif. C7 WJW

You can certainly get a 2nd hand X-Flow for less than 1K - but you've still got to get the old lump out and the new in. Unknown quantity as well. Yours is a known quantity - subject to it's present problems. Once it's out you can get the whole thing checked over. If the crank and bearings are your only problem then getting a regrind and new bearings isn't just a short term fix. Problem is once it's out you might as well get new pistons (if you've got Caterhams 1300 ones) an interesting cam etc etc.................

Lots of valid advice already - yes, get a second opinion, if you are close to James Whiting get him to listen to it. John also is right, Roger King is the man for xflows.

If you have the cash, and want to spend it, zetec may be the way to go, super conversion and I am sure cost effective in the long run. However, 3.5 grand is a realistic figure. You you'll miss most of the summer too.

One other option you might consider, attend your local area meeting, I recon if you lay on plenty of beer & a barby you could persuade a few people to help you out with the old, drop it in to Vulcan, organise another party for the engine in bit, and you probably have done the whole job for about 550 quid - its a thoughtteeth.gif

Regards

allen

(I offer this advice on the assumption that we go to different area meetings)wink.gif

Thanks for some good advise...

Question that now comes to mind is your opinions on driving the car. Pwr Eng want to charge a fortune to remove/replace the engine. Obviously I don't want to do any further/serious damage, would the 15-20 mile drive to James Whiting be OK if taken steady?

Blatman, sent you an email offline. I'm in Windsor but car is stuck at Pwr Eng, Uxbridge.

Cheers, a slightly happier Matt smile.gif

Matt,

As you said it was only a mild knock, (distant) it's possibly only a slight problem at the moment, if a problem at all. As previous, the Ford engine is overbuilt and very strong, so a mild journey isn't going to hurt that much. Just keep revs down an ear open and stop if things get worrying. A bottom end rebuild shouldn't set you back too much, and if you fancy your own chances there is a damn good book on rebuilding a Ford Kent X/flow engine by Pete and Valerie Wallage (ISBN 1-85010-938-9).

Matt.

Saw 'P104EEF' today. Black with yellow bonnet stripe! Actually rather dusty, but what the heck!!!

I would get the lump stripped and you'll probably find a quick polish of the journals + new shells will sort it. Got to be cheaper than going the new Zetec route by a long way!!!

Shame, but these things happen.thumbsdown.gif

Good Luckthumbsup.gif

Matt,]

Take it to Redline components in Caterham 01883 346515.

Peter Cooper, who is one of the directors, designed the 234 cam and general spec for the 135bhp 1700cc engine when Caterhams supply of Lotus Twincams dried up in the '80's.

Is there a better reccomendation?? - Short answer No.

Only that Redline will remove the engine and do everything as aone stop shop for you.

They are also one of the cheapest plaes around in terms of their labour rates.

If you are in a Northern location then Roger and Chris at the Seven workshop can do a similar thing, don't know much about their pricing though.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Vauxhall that is currently much slower than an R500wink.gif

See a car that can't possibly eat an R500 here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Matt, if you decide to use the Seven Workshop in Hoddesdon, we could possibly assist by trailering the car for you. We're dropping in there on our way to Cadwell on Tuesday and I could follow your car in the R500 and then load our car on after we've deposited yours.

E-mail me off-line if this helps - but we will be se7ening later, while the sunshine lasts! cool.gif

FH

ooh blush.gif forgot me smilies wink.gif

Edited by - fullharness on 26 May 2001 10:29:10