Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R300 SVA Failure.[Update]

Johnty Lyons

Just what is an owner expected to do when faced with stupid jobsworth individuals. Jbs new R300 has just been turned down on 3 faults all can be laid at factory door and none are his build problems.

1. Door mirrors are vibrating slightly giving a blurred image [ in the testers opinion] and will not pass. Tester suggests fitting big metal plates inside doors to stiffen them Yeah Right!!!!

CATERHAM ARE SENDING PILLAR MOUNTED sva MIRRORS AND SUGGEST WE PRESENT WITHOUT THE DOORS tHIS WILL UNFORTUNATLY MEAN THAT PART OF TEST BEING COMPLETLY REDONE BUT IS A SOLUTION

2 Lambda reading at fast idle test Hydrocarbons outside permissable limits.

MBE box just how do you fix that?

CATERHAM ARE SENDING DATA SHEETS TO ALLOW US TO RECALIBRATE TPS AND SET UP AIRFOW ON ROLLER BARRELS THEY RECOMMEND ALL CARS WITH ROLLER BARRELS BE SET UP AT FACTORY BEFORE SVA [ BIT DIFFICULLT IN OUR POSITION :-)))

3 Clutch pedal fouling steering column [ well thats fixable but it left factory like that]

EASY PEASEY JUST BAD WORKMANSHIP AT FACTORY CATERHAN APOLOGISED.

This on top of Caterhams F**K up with the wiring loom that led us a merry dance for 48hrs and involved the team completly stripping the injection of a working R300[ to no avail] !!!

CATERHAM PUT THEIR HANDS UP TO THIS , AND APOLOGISED PROFUSLEY ADMITTING THAT THEY HAVE HAD MORE THAN THEIR FAIR SHARE OF LOOM PROBEMS RECENTLY AND ARE IN PROCESS OF INVESTIGATIN QUALITY CONTROL :-))))

Anybody want 32,000 quids worth of scrap???? *mad* *mad* *mad*

NOT QUITE THE SCRAP IT WAS WHEN MY HACKELS WHERE UP AND WHEN I POSTED THIS LOKKS LIKE WE HAVE A SOLUTION TIME WILL TELL

STILL INTEND TO GO FURTHER WITH THE JOBSWORTH INSPECTOR.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.For my sins

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services N.I. *thumbup* *thumbup*

Edited by - johnty Lyons on 5 May 2004 19:44:23

Hi, would it be possible to get the car SVA'd near Dartford.

From my experience they were exceptionally patient and helped try and get the car SVA'd.

Appreciate this may not be practical, but they are used to getting Caterham's through and R300 should go through out-of-the-box

Regards A

Well anythings possible if the factory will pay the bill Belfast and Dartford arn't exactly next door to one another

It took the testers all day from 08:45 this morning to come up with this result next available test date is 7Mths away *mad* *mad* *mad*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.For my sins

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services N.I.

To say the N.I. seven owners emotions are running a little high is the huge understatement. Fair enough, there were complications with J.B's build, some that even ran us right to the wire 8 hrs before SVA (such as the TPS plug wired incorrectly). These problems we can surmount with the knowledge of the club forum members, & our own skills basis. **** happens & on most ocassions we can clean up the mess.

But what really f**ks us off is the N.I. D.T.A. (Northern Ireland Driving Test Agency) appointment of individuals to manage a government policy who weild a lack of transparency, a lack of reasoning & pure subjectiveness with utter contempt.

I'm a fair individual, most will agree. If someone presents a logical arguement on the basis of sound reasoning or relation to a set of explicit rules I'll conceed, like any gentleman should.

But were no correlation to a set of proceedural rules is made explicit... sorry but I'll bite your arm off.

J.B. also reported that the inspector was dissatisfied with the fact that the 4 point harness lap strap came to high over the pelvis. wwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would the same be true of a fat person in the seat with belt on. Total conjecture....

Also, the rear seat belt mounts where too low in relation to shoulder height. I know this is a MSA regulation ...... is it true of SVA?

My on SV went through 6 weeks prior to J.B's R300. There was no mention of the side mirror issue that JB faced. When he confronted the tester with this factual event the testers response must be heard to be believed.:

"I'll stop you there sir. Just because we made a mistake before doesn't mean we'll do it again!"

As a leading member of the N.I. club, myself, Simes & JJ see no treason to support a test of such subjectiveness and will advise any prospective N.I. owner to have their car tested in England.

N.I. SVA... *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

SV R300 (by virtue of spec not price)

Sounds like a bad day ☹️

Caterham put mine through SVA in February, and had to put temporary mirrors on the windscreen upright (removed the door ones) to get it through. They may lend you a set for the SVA.

Also, daft stuff like having to seal the screw holes in the front indicator lenses with silicon. I mean, FFS, these are the same indicators fitted to a Defender with no problems *mad* Also, little rubber fillet pieces in between the fog and reverse lights and the rear ali skin - how the hell anyone is meant to injure themselves there is beyond me.

I'd give Dartford a call re the emissions.

Best of luck for the retest - sounds like you need it.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 1000 miles completed!

I`m ever so slightly ****ed off about all this *mad*

If a Caterham can`t get through the bloody SVA test what hell hope is there for anything else?

It now seems like the only option for NI owners is to trailer the car to England in the short term.

In the long term this whole issue needs to be resolved. I`m going to contact the Ulster kit car club to find out there experiences and see where we can go with this.

In the meantime we need an up to date copy of the SVA manual asap. I haven`t had to go through SVA so I want a copy to have a good read through to see what these bloody numpties are up to. There is something going on where by the NI testers seem to have some wild and wonderful interpretations........

The tester even suggested that the passenger mirror should be adjustable from inside the car.....

I accept the need for SVA and I can even reluctantly accept all the bits that have to be attached to the car but what I will not accept is the subjective nature of testing here in NI..............its just not on!

New duratec powered build underway *New website soon*

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

FFS *mad* *mad* *mad*

are these the same 4rsewipers that allow the glow light Saxo's on the road --YES *mad*

are these numpties related with afamily tree that is VERTICAL and not HORIZONTAL -- YES *mad*

i am very fearful of your near term project Simon, knowing you've got a car not too far away...

FFS jj, i can't believe this

*mad* 🙆🏻 *thumbdown*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

Steve

My car will be SVA`d and registered on mainland GB........I don`t think I could have kept calm if I had gone through what jb went through today

It has been suggested that once we have a car with GB SVA we take the plates off and submit it for NI SVA.

When they fail it we whip out GB SVA cert. and tell them to stuff their SVA up their 🙆🏻

New duratec powered build underway *New website soon*

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

If it was me I would bounce the car back to Caterham re the emissions problem - get them to book it in for an SVA at Dartford.

Legally drive the car to the SVA and drive it back - all passed and as a bonus, it will be run in too.

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Not going to you know where with you know who in 2004 😬

It's beyond a joke that a BRITISH SVA centre (NI is still Britain after all) is allowed BY THE DVLA to interpret the rules as they see fit. JJ told me that upon challenging the DVLA about it they acknowledged that the NI centres do this but there was little they could do about it. WHAT??? Are we all on the same page here?

Given that level of incompetencce and plain disregard for what constitutes a roadworthy car, I just wouldn't be bothered and would be forced to accept the additional cost of the SVA in the mainland as part of the price of the car. Sorry, but my blood pressure wouldn't be worth the saving in cash.

Arseholes..!! 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

*mad* *mad* *mad*

Actually, scratch that... I'm not sure I'd want the hassle of the SVA these days. Although V7 passed only 4 and a bit years back, the stringency with which the (arbitrary) rules seem to be applied now is inconsistent with the point of the test . I would now pay the extra for Caterham themselves to put it through the test.

Get your Se7en while you can. They will be outlawed in the very near future, along with free-thinking and any other non-conformity. *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

We have it on record from an informal meeting of the DVTA and the Ulster Kit Car Club [ set up a year or so ago to explain the introduction of the SVA to N.I.] one of the DVTA members let slip in chat afterwards that they were determined in the interests of road safety to drive Cars built by rank amatures of the roads of N.I. All I can say is G** help the poor suckers building Lowcosts and Robin Hoods. The simple fact is that the tester who passed a similar car 6weeks ago was in the same shed at the time of JBs failure, He just stood and gave JB that look as if to say It's out of my hands.

It is totally unfair that two different testers can read the same rule book and come up with two completely different answers. L7CGB N.I. will be seeking a meeting with the head of SVA N.I. in the mean time we will be recomending all future owners to take their car to Gillingham for SVA.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.For my sins

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services N.I.

Pain in the 🙆🏻 but sadly in line with what is happening in the rest of Eu. As ever we are in the hands of people who have too free an interpretation of the rules and npot enough discretion/intelligence to use them sensibly. You are quite right to meet with regional SVA, this is out of order. I'm sure also that CC will have lots of info on things like seatbelt height (which I know is a tough one for small cars).

Finally (pedant hat) - NI is not part of Britain, it is a member of the United Kingdom of GB and NI. I had this explained very forcefully once to me by a Northern Irish gentleman and I have never forgotten it. 😳

/pedant. *smile*

Johnty,

IIRC something similar happened to you or one of your chums a couple of months ago. At the time I suggested an appeal. If a Caterham passes the SVA in Gillingham, the same car must pass the test in any other part of the United Kingdom - this is why the regs. are so detailed in order to create a fair playing field.

Now someone is wrong here at either Gillingham or the NI tast centre...they cannot both be right. I would definitely push an appeal if I were in the same situation.

Paul

It's total cr@p, isn't it. It's the main reason I bought mine factory built. Although you miss out on a major part of the enjoyment of owning a 7, the price differential isn't that great after you've bought your oils and special tools, number plates, paid for the SVA taken time off to get it tested, and paid for the first service.... Welcome to the nanny state!

that was what I did *thumbup*

however that was more to do with the car having to go back on a lorry after i had built it than me not wanting to do the SVA *wink*

JJ - what a complete arse, hope it all gets sorted *thumbup*

rob *smile*

IIRC NI citizens are "citizens of Northern Ireland". "Irish Citizen" means The Republic of I, and AFAIK you can't be a "citizen" of the UK. I might have to have a look in my passport which has very precise wording of the official bits, especially at the front where it says, reassuringly "if you do anything stupid like detain this person and we find out, we'll send the SAS in. And you won't like that."

JJ what does Simon Lamber say about this complete balls up. If their cars can't get through SVA in NI, then they should put it through a UK SVA FOC and then ship it to NI.

I guess we're talking small market so they're NFI ☹️

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

At the risk of offending someone 😳, I would like to say that I really don't think this is Caterham's problem *eek*

My opininion FWIW is that the tester in NI is interpreting the rules in his own way. This should not be possible if the rules are properly drafted and the tester is properly trained. If not the only way I can see round this is to kick up a fuss via the appeals procedure *smile*

I dare say that whatever Caterham did, this particular tester would find a way of failing the car *mad* and that situation needs to be addressed.

Paul

Paul, I largely agree. Although annoying that Caterham wrongly wired the TPS, irritants of this nature happen from time to time. What's clearly wrong is the NI SVA centre. Caterham sell a kit car and offer a service whereby they will build it for your and give it to you complete/road-ready or will take your home-built car and take it through SVA for you so I don't think they are to blame... certainly not from my PoV anyway.

Battered... LOL. I wonder if they'd really send the SAS in. 😬

Edited by - V7 SLR on 5 May 2004 16:18:20