Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X/flow wanting to die

philwaters

Started having problems with the old lump again, wondering if anyone can suggest whats causing it.

When the car is started it runs fine and ticks over very happily. However when approaching junctions under braking and upon putting the clutch in the engine revs drop severely to such an extend that I have to blip the throttle to keep the engine going. Once caught, the engine will tend to sit and rev at 1000rpm happily.

I also had this problem (on the lists Haggis hunt) to the extend that it cut the engine which would then not re-start at all, just turn over. This only happened when pulling away and changing up to 2nd gear, at the point of putting the clutch pedal down.

It is pretty intermitant so is hard to trace, made worse by th fact that 2 mins after it stops it starts first time and is fine...aarrghhh sad.gif

Any idea guys... I'm planning on a Zetec upgrade next year so don't want huge expence, but would like a reliable car in the mean time.

Phil Waters

Q181 ABL - 1600X/F

It sounds to me like a carb/fuel problem. There maybe more than one issue here for example is a stickier than normal throttle cable giving an atificially high tickover upon start up, you may have some sh.t in the fuel system thats moving and causing a blockage, in the float chamber for example. I would strip the carbs and blow out with an airline, if this doesnt work then look at the electrics, it could be the condenser if you have one, thats getting hot and breaking down.

Have you got a sealed fuel tank? If the breather is blocked it is difficult to pull the fuel through to the engine. This causes the car to stall. Waiting for a bit allows air to get into the tank and fuel can be pumped through again. This happened on my girlfriends car when the garage twisted the breather pipe. Next time it stalls whip the filler cap out and see if it goes hiss when you do and if it's easier to restart.

Piers

Almost certainly caused by worn (fuel) float needle valves. Dead easy to renew, but you must set the float level correctly after fitting the valves. I had exactly the same problem, which drove me nuts for weeks - the reason being at idle with a warm engine, the fuel level gradually rises causing an enriched mixture. Not a problem under normal running conditions.

Thanks guys, all good things to check out, hopefully I'll get chance tonight.

How do I tell if i've got worn float needles? is it obvious to the naked eye? and also are replacement easy to get hold of - do they come in a weber service kit thingy?

Phil Waters

Q181 ABL - 1600X/F

Phil,

You can get a Weber service repair kit from Southern Carburettors (Weber main agents) on 0208-540-2723. I have a very good book by Des Hammil on repair and setting up of DCOEs, so if you can give me a fax no. I will fax over the relevant pages.

Brent