Click here if you are having website access problems ×

front brake pads

NickB7

Have got upfronted brake kit on superlight (as it comes from the factory)and done around 600miles I have heard EBC green stuff are better than the Mintex pads it comes with. Does anyone agree or have another idea to improve pedal feel and braking?

S31VEN

Green stuff pads made a difference to my car, with standard front brakes, more feel and bite but after bedding them in I would say the improvement is not quite as marked as I had expected.

Haven't yet done a track day with them so can't say how they will perform under prolonged extreme braking conditions.

Brent

Interesting as I was considering changing my 1144s to Greenstuff.

Paul - intersted in your perceptions of the 1144s. I find that they don't have an awful lot in the way of initial bite and are a bit cack when cold.

I was hoping Greenstuff might make a bit of difference.

I originally wanted 1155s for the front which I believe were the ones to have. But couldn't get hold of any.

Mintex M1144 are a fast road pad which will be slightly below average from cold and work well when reasonably hot, suitable for fast road type driving not racing type driving. M1155 are a track type pad which should be OK if you fade M1144.

Green stuff are a sprint and hillclimb type pad designed to work well from cold, they're also meant to be good for fast road work too. Red stuff are a track type pad, recommended for when you overheat green stuff.

If you needed (rather than wanted) M1155 pads then green stuff will fade immediately and be hopeless, you want red stuff.

If you find M1144 no good when cold then try green stuff or M1122. The latter are Mintex's hillclimb pads but difficult to get hold of, got mine from BGD in Bromsgrove. I've tried M1122 and green stuff and can feel no difference between them at all, they both work fine from stone cold and are OK on the longest sprint I've ever done, no idea about track days though.

I have used M1122 in my AP 4 pots for a couple of years now and have found them to be very good for road and hillclimb use. Last year I did an airfield day where hard breaking at the end of the long runway from speeds well in excess of 110 mph eventually saw the pad over heat and fade. They have come back now but do seem a little less potent in the stopping department , despite having been thoroughly deglazed and cleaned. I wonder if the overheating has damaged the material?

Andrew

Thanks guys. Something to think about.

I suspect I'm not getting the 1144s hot enough on the road. But as I've got some track days coming up soonish maybe I'll stick with them for a bit and see what happens when t hey get some heat in them.