Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Too Much Oil Pressure

Andrew

It went from about 15psi on 0/40 to about 24 HOT on 5/40.

Yours does sound high. Is the std pressure releif valve adjustable???

All the same 3 bar hot idle is very high.....

My issue was only getting 30psi at 3000 rpm hot on the 0/40

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Vauxhall that is currently much slower than an R500wink.gif

See a car that can't possibly eat an R500 here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

An end to the Saga (and it was a long one) SBD valve gave me "pick & mix" oil pressure - anything between 1.9 bar & 8 bar! at idle. Changing sump foam (thanks for telling me the location of the hidden Bolts Arnie - the cold chisel was in my hand as we spoke)and returning to old relief valve gave me totally erratic readings as well.

Sunday PM noticed that I actually had 1.5 Bar on the gauge without the engine running - pressure sender.

So combination of sticking valve and dodgy sender. £100 lighter - but then again if it hadn't done it I wouldn't have found the egg noodles in my sump for a while!

What about oil pressure in Zetecs. Being a newbie to Caterhams, and not at all a mechanic. Recently purchased a 1800 Zetec, engine is only two years old with 5000 on the clock. Oil pressure dial moves freely, but pressure on the motorway at 80mph is usually somewhere about 85-90 PSI. Does this sound like a bad thing?? The engine runs very smoothly with no obviuos problems, and never having had a car with an oil pressure guage before i've not been particularly bothered by this.. Until now!

Aves,

Glad to hear that you have resolved your problems without too many severe headaches. Did you replace your sender unit and if so where from and how much? I seem to think that this may be my problem although I will drop the relief valve out for a routine check........

I presume that the oil pressure sender is a unique item for the VDO guage rather than a GM part?

Andrew.

Andrew, I changed oil to mobil 1 motorsport (15/50) as well. That has given marginally higher pressure readings on the new sender. It is marginal though - we're talking maybe 0.3 bar across the range. Still 4 bar-ish on a long flat out run and 2 bar-ish at idle after.

New sender was from Caterham themselves - £40 odd. They've still got two in stock. It is VDO not GM but takes about 1 minute to change. Sits on the oil filter housing.

Best of luck!

Edited by - AVES on 30 May 2001 15:50:55

Paul,

Reference Zetec oil pressure in your 1800, it does sound a bit high at 85-90. My 2.0L is steady at about 4.5 bar when cruising and drops to 1.5-2 bar at idle when really hot.

Do you know if you have a high pressure pump? If not I would tend to suspect an inaccurate gauge. I am sure there is nothing to be concerned about though, sometimes I think you are better off not reading about potential worries.

Brent smile.gif