Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Too Much Oil Pressure

One for the Vauxhall boys.

Standard 2.0 XE inj. Mobil 1. Normally runs oil presure at 2 bar at idle 3.9 - 4 bar at 3500 rpm upwards. Tonight ran as normal on way out but ran at 4 bar at idle and 6 bar at 3500rpm on way back. Will go up to 7 bar when revved before needle on gauge suddenly flicks back to 5 bar then stabilizing at 6 bar.

Oil pressure relief valve sticking?

Is this as easy to change as it says in the book?

Matthew,

Take the spring and the valve out and clean them. That'll probably resolve it, otherwise borrow another gauge to be sure.

We can check the pressure reported by your gauge on my Stack on Saturday if you like. A simple 2 wire job.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Temporarily Indisposed Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Steve, welcome to the world of se7ening, but surely it deserves more than a biggrin.gif

Se7en ownership and the camaraderie =

teeth.gif's wink.gif's , the occasional blush.gif's

and FA for help thumbsup.gif + other techos who've gone to bed now ( or are still in the garage teeth.gif

FH

FH. - OK your right!

teeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gifteeth.gifbiggrin.gif

And as soon as I sort out a few "teething" problems (leaking rad - dodgy fans and a misfire), Ill be even happier.

I must admit, I keep nipping to the garage for a quick peek!

Steve

Aves,

Please keep me posted about your oil pressure, as I recently changed my oil from Mobil 0/40 to Comma Syna G 5/40, and have noticed that my oil pressure seems a lot higher than before, and I do not believe that it can simply be the oil quality. Maybe the guage is over reading or maybe the relief valve needs a clean?

The guage is behaving quite normally just reading high!

I would be interested to know the outcome of your investigations....

If the Hawaian Tropicals are worth a peak, post!

Andrew

Andrew, I'm sure that there will be differing opinions on this but I've been told that the fact that the previous owner used 0/40 Mobil 1 may have led to problems with the release valve.

My pressure had a history of going up occasionally & then dropping but last night it stayed there. The way it suddenly flicks down to 5 bar from 7 seems to suggest the valve suddenly unsticking.

I tend to agree with you on your symptoms. How high are your readings? From what I've been told you should be at 2 bar at idle and 4 bar -ish at 3000rpm upwards. Surely after the oil is fully hot your going to get pretty similar readings whatever your viscosity is?

Aves

Once hot, my car runs at about 3 bar on tickover and 6.5 - 7.5 bar at above 3000 rpm. There is no indication of sticking as the guage move rapidly and fluidly. It is the original electrical guage but responds instantly to increasing or decreasing revs.

Until I read your original post I wasn't particularly worried. Now I am ! Thanks !!!!!!

Andrew

Aves

The platic valve is better because it does not stick as easily as the metal item, but if you found plastic swarf in the valve you might want to remove the sump and check that the foam baffle (if fitted) is not breaking up. If it is it could cause more damage to your engine by blocking oilways and restricting flow.

MIKE.

Aves

Thanks for that....I think I may take out the pressure relief valve and check it over, just for peace of mind. Where did you get the nylon item from if GM are unable to source? Having never removed the valve, I presume it is located on the filter head and is easily accessed?

I would definitely follow Mike's advice about the foam insert in the sump. It is a fiddly job getting the sump back on with the two gaskets and the windage plate sandwiched between it but worth it. I think Alex Wong will testify what happens if the foam gets caught up in the inside of the engine!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

Edited by - Andrew Russell on 24 May 2001 12:17:37

I had an interesting chat with James Whiting re oil changes and foam baffles in sumps the other week. He has seen some examples of the foam becoming crisp and brittle, and then breaking up. The current theory is that by changing oil manufacturer when you do an oil change, one or more of the additives are reacting with something left by the previous oil causing the foam to change.

If you have changed your oil supplier and are having filter problems it would be an idea to check the foam in the sump to see what state its in.

Dave H

Andrew, the valve came from SBD (Sorry Arnie!)It's located in the block just behind the bottom crank pulley on the exhaust side. It's at about 4 o'clock as you look at the front of the engine. 24mm socket and a real bugger to get back it because of the need to compress the spring.

Foam insert on the way.

Interesting stuff Dave - it's never strightforward is it!

Following on from Dave H's comments, i took the sump off last night to discover that my sump foam had all the structural integrity of a prawn cracker. It was like uncooked egg noodles. So brittle that I couldn't get a grip on it to lift it out - just broke up.

I'm just hoping that none has found it's way into the smaller oil feeds.

Wet sump Vxer's (and K series?) beware!!!!!!!!

Just a note on the oils.

I went from Mobil 1 5/40 to 0/40 when they changed the viscosity rating a few years ago, and got really poor pressure at low revs when the engine had been working very hard (i.e. sprint or track day).

Moving to Comma 5/40 improved hot pressure consideably, and I have been using this in my engine up until the recent failure (which was unrelated)

I have under guidance from Swindon now gone to Mobil 1 15/50 as I have (in line with some internal upgrades) raised my max rpm to 9500 (although not yet used it) as extra insurance against cavatation by the pump. (probably would not happen as my pump is very low geared, but belt & braces...)

I would say the Comma 5/40 is fine for engines running up to 8750 - which is where I was running to last year - 14,000 miles at theses speeds (sometimes sustained at 8500) with no problem.

The internal VX pump may be likley to cavatate at lower rpm as its speed is optimised for the std 6800 OEM redline.

Matthew - do you mean you have the Hawian Tropic girls from Le Mans in your garage, or what?? If so, we'll test your diff at your place!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Vauxhall that is currently much slower than an R500wink.gif

See a car that can't possibly eat an R500 here

Arnie,

I take it you don't have the foam insert in your sump. If you do I'd check it if you've changed oil brands recently.

AVES,

Give James Whiting a ring and let him know. I think he's trying to gather enough evidence to decide what is happening, and why.

Dave H

Aves

Thank you for the info. I will have a look at the valve over the weekend.

Did you have a windage plate situated above the foam insert....the plate that is sandwiched between the sump and the block? It seems that many Vx 16V don't have them and they are certainly recommended by most reputable engine builders. Altho' the plate will not stop the foam 'rotting' it will stop it comping into contact with the crank!!

Just a thought while you've got the sump off.....

Arnie, by how much was you hot pressure increased when you were using the Comma oil? Do you think the figures showing by my guage seem too high?

Thanks to all.

Andrew

Dave, Arnie is dry sump so he doesn't have these worries - his are far more complicated.

Arnie - I wish I had the tropic girls in the garage - Altho then I'd spend ALL my time out there.

On oil am I going to be OK on the 15/50?

Andrew I've got the plate so that's one less problem.

My new foam baffle has now arrived - I've not seen an unused one before and I'm amazed at the change that had occured in the old one. Bath sponge to egg noodles!

OOOh Dave you're such a beach.....

Matthew - the only thing wrong with the 15/50 is the price.

Halfords are doing a 20% reduction on each £50 you spend right now so:

Buy 2 x 4 litres of Mobil 1 @ 32.99ea

= 65.98 - 10.00 = £27.99ea.

Buy 5 and do a deal with the manager (I think they are bonused on oil sales) - O got 5 x 4 litres for £150 less £30

Saving was immediately wasted last Saturday!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Vauxhall that is currently much slower than an R500wink.gif

See a car that can't possibly eat an R500 here

Arnie,

You mentioned earlier that when you changed to Comma SynerG 5/40 you noticed an increase in your hot oil pressure. By what sort of amount? Do you think the figures that I mentioned in an earlier posting are excessive?

Your opinion would be appreciated....

Andrew.

I had 0/40 in my BDR for a short while, (when asking friends to get you some cheap(er) mobil 1 in France, it is imperative to tell them there are two kinds... three if you count the diesel stuff) and too noticed a drop in oil pressure throughout the rev band, though more noticeable at idle. Now I'm back on 15/50, pressure is back to normal. Lets say the difference was from 2 to 1 bar at idle and about .5 bar at 5k.

There are no suprises here as it has a higher viscosity cold and hot and therefore reasonably, right the way through the temperature range.