Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How do you remove the speedo drive seal?

millsn

Anyone shed any light. The circlip is off, the drive itself is away and I'm left with a round pin which has a square key inside it and is surrounded by the speedo drive seal. Do I need to get the pin out to remove the seal? Will the seal come out on it's own - how do you get any purchase on the thing? *confused*

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs soon to be EFi'd

Thats about it - you have to gently prise out the seal with a small screwdriver - I stuck it through the seal and then levered it out. I doubt you could get it out in a condition to reuse it - about £1.70 from Ford for a new one IIRC.

Roadsport build photo's here

If you could weld rubber I'd suspect mine's welded in. Having no luck with either method -seal looks a sorry state. I want it out to replace it with a new one for leaks.

The seal appears dished when you look at it for some reason - I suspect that's the reason for my troubles

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs soon to be EFi'd

Hijack...

is it easy to remove the speedo cable from the 90' unit without removing the 90' unit from the Gbox and Gbox in situ...

my car was fitted with wrong cable by Ratrace and after a year I think its about time I got the correct one in there and the speedo working

ta

Chris

I wonder if you can get A021R's with studs?? 😬