Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Plug spanners

Tony Martyr

I want to treat myself to a decent plug extraction tool for my k series engine, having struggled with a lashed up tube for too long. With a wasted spark system the poor old plugs are wotking twice as hard.

I think a saw a nice rubber lined special long socket device in some catalogue but can't find it again.

Any suggestions for the best source?

Make sure you buy a decent one - I got mine from a local motor factors. It was cheap but after using it a couple of times the rubber insert that grips the top of the plug so you can extract it pulled free - I then had to use the spanner to unsrew the plugs and then lift them out with a piece of split bamboo cane!

Very Heath Robinson!

Nick

I've used a cheap tubular plug spanner which is rather like a box spanner, the rubber insert has been stuck in with silicone sealant and is very effective, its easy to persuade onto the plugs and the relatively short tommy bar prevents overtightening, it was £4 at a local motor factors and has reached all the twin cam heads I've worked on, I find it easier than a custom plug socket and extension bar.

Ooily

Snap-on was what I had seen!

My little problem was that I used a proper rubber lined socket on the end of an extension bar. When the plug was tight I pulled the bar out of the socket which was stuck on the plug. Very tricky problem to solve