Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Respray costs - very high

V7 SLR

I am supposed to be picking up a roll cage this weekend, but I've hit upon a snag. although I'm getting the cage for a very good price, it is painted yellow, which doesn't match my car at all (Azure Blue). I have been quoted 175UKP inc vat and 200UKP +vat to paint it. I can't afford that. anyone got any sensible suggestions that are around the Midlands area please? I can't believe that it costs that much to paint a bloody roadsport cage.

On the other hand, I'm prepared to prep and paint it myself if I can get the paint into aerosol cannisters. Any idea who might be able to do this? Doesn't really matter where they are as they could post.

Thanks.

Nig,

I'm looking at getting a full cage soon. How much was yours?

It might be worth getting one of the quoters to break down the price into components, to see what it is they are charging for. Prep? Paint? Labour? Having a clean-room?

It certainly sounds expensive, but you wouldn't want to make an obvious mistake by doing it cheaply; however, if the bulk of the price is prepping time, you could do that yourself and have them splash the paint on relatively cheaply.

Thought about Smoothrite? teeth.gif

-Darren

W15 HCO

Arnie, I'll try TSK, thanks. Have you a number? I'm not adverse (?) to bringing it down to them.

Peter, blue and yellow? Mmm. No thanks. Would prefer to paint it hammerite black... which is an option..!

Darren, I'm buying mine second hand so it's cheaper, but because it's painted, he's letting me have it cheaper still. 150 quid..!

If I can get the paint, I'll paint it myself.

Thanks Nig - yours is £150 2nd hand, another on this site is £350 2nd hand. Both a lot better than the 495+vat I've been quoted for a new one. Think I'll wait for a second-hand one to appear.

Cheers,

Darren

Nigel,

I have a good compressor a new detailing spray gun and a spare litre of satin black two-pack. Let me know when you would like to spray it and come on over.

Cheers

Chris

Doing..! smile.gif

Thanks Chris. I will pick it up on Saturday, so howabouts I give you a ring after then? Would you be wanting to do it at the weekend or in the evening? Your choice of course.

If I can get a litre of Azure Blue, could we use that or would it bugger up your gun?

Edited by - V7 SLR on 22 May 2001 16:31:28

Azure blue will be fine just buy half a litre. You will also need a hardener as I wouldn't guarantee that the one I have will be compatible.

Unfortunately I will be in Algeria this weekend but I am back on 29th May and on holiday for the rest of the week, so any evening will be fine.

Cheers

Is this something you mix in with the paint, or something applied afterwards? If I just ask Lotus for a hardener will they understand what I want?

What's happening in Algeria? Sounds interesting.

Why not get it powder coated? Contact Triple S powder coating in Bingley, Yorks. I know its not local, but carriage is about £10 per 25KG and wouldn't cost that much to do. They are on 01274 562474. Ask for Andy Rushworth.

John

I would buy the paint from Brown Brothers they sell ICI products which are excellent. Good quality modern paint is two-pack. It has a coloured lacquer and a chemical hardener. They are iso-cyanate (epoxy) based and are a bit unpleasant to spray without the right mask. There is a Brown Bros about 2 miles from home so getting paint isn't a problem.

I have to visit Sonatrach in Algeria as we are trying to sell them some on line power measuring systems for their gas pipeline turbocompressors and I ahve been trying to arrange a visit for the last couple of years and the invitation just came through.

I don,t leave until Sunday a.m. so I will mail you my mobile number off-line and you can catch up with me on Saturday.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...