Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A-Frame to Chassis fixing

Graham Sewell

Whilst trying to find yet another knocking noise from the rear of my '95 live axle, I found that the nuts securing the A-frame to the chassis were less than finger tight. Also there was a distinct lack of washers between the nut and the A-frame. How critical is this omission?

Cheers,

Graham

I seem to remember that the correct torque for A frame to chassis is 25-30 lbs. There should be a washer behind the nut only and experience tells me that the lock nuts should be changed after one or two removals. The A frame to diff is I believe torqued at 40 lbs.

Allan,

This is an interesting one. my live axle has no shims between the A frame mounting and the chassis yet the diagram in the Weals book refers to these "as required" Does this mean that you mount the A frame onto the chassis first without the diff mounting and look for side play and then shim if reqd.

The washers (or shims) between the A-frame and the chassis are to allow the A-frame to be moved laterally to ensure that the rear axle is central on the chassis. My problem was that there were no washers on the inside of the a-frame before the nyloc. Replaced these washers and torqued up new nylocs and.....

The knocking on stop start traffic and the noisy rattle over rough roads have totally disappeared!

Also replaced two nearly new a-frame/diff bushes as a matter of course while I was working in the area.

Cheers,

Graham