Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Are caterham putting the best engine in their cars?

Blue-Lines

I always find tha the dismissive comments about the origins of engines amusing. No one has yet mentioned the fact that the Duratec 2.3 engine comes from an American truck! It does!!

Caterham are constrained by a number of factors, including the very small number of units (by Ford or MG Rover standards) that they buy.

At the end of the day, the engines they use get the job done at an economic price

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith

And the Coventry Climax engine was from a fire truck pump. The Cosworth Sierra was based on a Pinto engine fitted to Transit. So what?

If anything if the Duratec 2.3 was fitted to a truck it might have a chance at being more reliable than a "Metro" engine 😬 The Duratec will definately be understressed lugging a 550 kilo body around rather than one and a half tons of Ford Ranger.

Which would I rather have? Hmmmmmm........Let me think.

The engine that is fitted to the Caterham was probably due to a deal that was done and that it was light and complied to the emmisions that a car manufacturer has to adhere to. Not a bad choice for Caterham. What will they fit in future? Who knows? Probably not the Duratec. My opinion is that they will leave those installations to the aftermarket people.

AMMO

So the real question you have to ask is "When the agreement with Rover comes up for renewal, what will Caterham go with?"

From what I hear in the industry it won't be a Rover product :-)

In fact a certain well known engine manufacturer with a small link to Caterham may be involved. Think about how Caterham and this company would both benefit form joint marketing and you might come up with the answer Cos it mat be worth it 😬

T 1 PPB - Superlight

...Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]...

The K as fitted in the Caterham was never fitted in the METRO. This was the old wet linered block and had the low port line head.

Rob

The original K as fitted was a wet linered block with the low port head. Rumour has it that Caterham bought a job lot of these engines & continued fitting as 1.4 up until they run out in about 1996, just when the 1.6 was introduced. All engines since then have been damp linered with the high port heads. How do I know? I tried to rebuild my 1994 K as a 1.6 that's how *eek*

Micky

PS: I see Fordy beat me to it!

Edited by - Mick Day on 30 Apr 2004 10:59:37

From what I hear in the industry it won't be a Rover product :-)

In fact a certain well known engine manufacturer with a small link to Caterham may be involved. Think about how Caterham and this company would both benefit form joint marketing and you might come up with the answer Cos it mat be worth it

I think your right and I'm sure it will be worth waiting for. However I believe they they are actually doing the engineering work necesary to install a mass produced engine which is both Durable and hi-tec 😬

Ammo quote...

If anything if the Duratec 2.3 was fitted to a truck it might have a chance at being more reliable than a "Metro" engine The Duratec will definately be understressed lugging a 550 kilo body around rather than one and a half tons of Ford Ranger.

Of course the same is true for the metro engine as a Caterham is about two thirds the weight of a metro (and isn't being driven around with the handbrake on 😬 )

Does it really matter what applications the engine has been used for? Advantages of the K series are that it is light and there is a good amount of knowledge on how to tune it. Duratech route does seem appealing, but from what I understand some bespoke parts are required to fit it (certainly haven't heard of a cheap duratech installation yet).

Bike engined cars seem very quick (e.g. Brodie et al at Llandow), and are very light with good costs and reliability. However I'm not sure how easy they would be to drive around town in the rush hour or on long touring journeys.

For some of us, 130Bhp in a 550Kg car still seems pretty quick - on track as well as road.

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

'Bike engined cars seem very quick (e.g. Brodie et al at Llandow), and are very light with good costs and reliability. However I'm not sure how easy they would be to drive around town in the rush hour or on long touring journeys'

I do a school run in my Blade most days and did a 4 hundred + mile trip a couple of weeks ago. Hope that clears that up for you.

Steve

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

Theres nothing new about Caterham fitting Duratecs, there were strong rumours back in 2001 about them running some prototype cars with it fitted (e.g here).

Then they signed the deal for the K series and that was that, but it may explain why its (apparently) easy to get a chassis with the right engine mounts....

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 30 Apr 2004 17:23:02

Interesting discussion, I vote for Duratec of course. However read an article in South African motor magasine discussing Caterham South Africa. The are importing SV chassis's and putting in Toyota engines as the only available engine.

"Caterham SV 400 with Toyota power, leads the championship on handicap after two rounds. The car competing in its first season of the Lotus Challenge has run faultlessly at both race meetings and finished well inside of the top ten in both meetings. Another two SV 400 Toyota powered cars identical to James's car are set to debut in May 2004, bringing to four the number of one make racers competing in the Lotus Challenge this year. These distinctive Caterham SV 400 cars sporting full roll cages have created much interest within racing circles in South Africa and with the planned screening of the Caterham 2003 R400 series on SA TV in the coming months, even more competitors are expected to be attracted to this very exciting formula"

Could this be a precursor to a change in blighty?

Duratec Se7en, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool* Keep it sunny side up and out of the kitty litter.

Keith

I'm glad somebody agrees with me 😬

And the engine with the best ability to get the job done is a............................?

On this some people will never agree. Fine. It would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Mic

I have to modify my chassis to fit the Duratec to my chassis. There are no holes for the engine mount to go to on the nearside on my '89 big tube De Dion. The late chassis is no problem as you say.

RobF

The Duratec installation is not cheap. But neither is any other 220 bhp engine. Somehow the Ford conversions, Zetec and Duratec, are seen as the option for the poor, or the great unwashed as Roger King once put it. Just because these engines have not been offered by the factory doesn't make us Zetec and Duratec owners paupers. If the Duratec was not available I would still have a Zetec in preference to any of the other engines normally fitted. In other words we are not fitting these engines because they are cheap or readily available. We fit them because we want to.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 1 May 2004 09:15:11

• 8 years later...

Some of us were fitting Duratecs to Caterhams before the factory did. I remember a lot of resistance to the Duratec early on by VX and K owners when I was telling anyone who would listen that Duratec was the way to go.

So what is the next engine that could be fitted? The Duratec could also likely be discontinued soon. It is already over 12 years old. Still one of the greatest production engines of all time in my opinion. Bang for buck it can't be beaten.

Ford engines are readily available and have been traditionally been fitted to Sevens since the year dot.

The new 1000cc 3 cylinder Eco Boost engine has made me resuscitate this thread from way back. If the Eco Boost engine dimensions allow it to be fitted to a Caterham I reckon someone will fit one at some point.

With petrol prices rising fuel economy is becoming much more important for road cars. A friend of mine predicted many years ago that small capacity turbo petrol engines was where we were going to end up and it looks like the day has come.

Diesel engines all seem to have become turbo diesels in the last ten years or so. Can you even buy a car with a diesel engine that hasn't got a turbo?

I have a feeling that the Duratec may be amongst the last of the great naturally aspirated engines that lends itself to tuning. The choice in the future may become much more limited.

Starting with a bare chassis what current engine would you fit?

Just thinking about the future Arnie. We have kit cars that have the ability to have different production based engines fitted. I'm blinkered and look only at Duratecs as I am pretty much besotted by them.

My car was originally fitted with a BDA which when it expired was replaced by a Crossflow. When I got the car it was with the specific intention to do a Zetec conversion. Still a great engine and great value for money.

If the Duratec hadn't come along I would still have the Zetec. I did the most miles in this and probably had the most fun doing track days and long trips with my youngest son.

But the Duratec did come along and everything changed. I first fitted a 228bhp then a 263 bhp 2 litre. As I don't do trackdays anymore I am looking to either replace this with another less powerful Duratec with better fuel economy and less induction noise.

In fact I have all the bits to do this and may go that route this winter and sell the 263 bhp engine. I was also thinking of possibly de-tuning the current engine and taking advantage of the triple mapping to have an economy map for long distances. The induction noise in comparison to the 228 bhp engine I used to have is much higher. I could fit an airbox. I was also thinking of fitting a plenum and reducing the power to around 240 bhp. Can't make up my mind.

Whilst all these ideas were going through my mind I started wondering what else is out there that could be fitted. In all likelihood I will probably stick with the Duratec, but was curious what other people thought. There is always the possibility that someone will come up with something amazing that nobody has thought of yet!

I did see the Eco Boost thread Jonathan. That's what started me thinking.

Didn't know Westfield fitted a 1.6 turbo VX Peter.

As I own a petrol trubo car that returns excellent MPG I would suggest it (and great power with potential). That is the BMW Mini Cooper S engine. Stop/start technology, very low emissions etc. I return 38-42MPG in my car on typical driving and that's lugging a 1250KG car. Plus it has a healthy 187+BHP (I think 230 out of the JCW version), overboost on the turbo and plenty of Minis made! The trouble will always be the electronics (the key for starters!) and sump/height of engine issues, and then bellhousing production.

Must admit - I did wonder if such an engine would fit in the caterham!

Quoting Kevsta: 
As I own a petrol trubo car that returns excellent MPG I would suggest it (and great power with potential). That is the BMW Mini Cooper S engine. Stop/start technology, very low emissions etc. I return 38-42MPG in my car on typical driving and that's lugging a 1250KG car. Plus it has a healthy 187+BHP (I think 230 out of the JCW version), overboost on the turbo and plenty of Minis made!
The Prince engine, Wikipedia article

The Prince engine in motorsport

Jonathan