Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow ignitions, what would it take

Bill Shurvinton

• 3 weeks later...

Bryan,

Bill is collecting x-flow maps at the moment so should be able to provide a pretty sound map to suit your spec. It should be a reliable and safe "base" map.

From then on its just a matter of putting a connected laptop on the passenger seat and hitting the road. AFAIK there will be some settings that will be best "left as is" and others that can be played with.

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Edited by - Se7en-Up! on 13 Jun 2004 23:12:19

Bill

How’s the ignition project progressing? I would like to get my hands on one soon as possible! If nothing else I need to improve the fuel consumption on my 155BHP Crossflow!

We keep all of our finances on Microsoft Money where all our expenditure is categorised. A few weeks ago I asked my wife why the expenditure at a certain Garden Centre was so high; we had a “robust discussion” on the subject!!

Last night while she was putting her receipts onto the system she did a bit of analysis herself… The question came “why do you spend so much money at the Shell (Optimax…) filling station?” I seem to remember you fill the Seven up there……

She then started to compare how many miles the tin top had done in comparison to the Seven, and then how much fuel we had put in each…. I wish I had kept my mouth shut on the Garden Centre now!

Tony

Quick update. Components have arrived in Dallas. I'll pick them up on sunday at the GP. When I get back to UK we'll beaver away to get some units built ASAP.

Once we have a working reference case, then we can start firming up orders, but until it is proven as a concept that doesn't require an electronics degree I don't want to promise anything.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I'm very excited by this project but am very much a numpty when it comes to this sort of thing. I have asked for an explaination before but people send me to the tech website which explains the benefits of 3d mapping. It tends to talk about injection a great deal but not webbers. What I still don't understand is dwell and advance. Depending on Bill's package I'm still interested in the Aldon ignitor I and II and the Lucas sport kit but I have no idea of the pros and cons.

Can anyone suggest the pros and cons of these systems assuming I have a 1600 X flow with twin webbers, a standard cam, using it every day, finding she goes out of tune fairly often. Getting a missing beat/turmoil when I double it down a gear to overtake, having the lucas ignition amplifier an aldon F103xuls (or whatever it's called) standard ignition system.

I would appreciate an explaination of how 3D works with webbers' for example, what is a throttle pot sensor..

Thanks in anticipation...... *thumbup*

Owner of *thumbup*The Wombat *thumbup*

L7OC member

27,000 so far

Edited by - Rowly on 27 Jun 2004 18:11:22

Rowly,

The thing the engine cares adout is advance, i.e. how much before Top Dead Centre do you spark the mixture. The optimum timing should give you maximum torque when you're running at full throttle and best efficiency at part throttle. An ideal ignition system "knows" the optimum advance for all combinations of RPM, throttle openning, engine temperature, air temperature, fuel octane, air pressure, air moisture content and so on. Most Weber systems are only sensitive to RPM through the bob weight and springs in the distributor. With a 2D mapped system the bob weight and springs are discarded in favour of a look up table, which allows you to have any advance curve you want. This should then be mapped at full throttle and will give you the best power curve.

For real world use, you actually spend a lot of time at part throttle positions. With a 3D system, the advance takes throttle position into account to give much better part throttle operation. The controller needs to know the throttle position, so you have to add a sensor (AKA throttle pot) to the throttle shaft. On an XFlow with webers the improved fuel consumption would probably pay for Bill's system in 10,000 miles.

All modern systems sort out the dwell, which is how long you're giving the coil to "charge up". It does mean that you have to have a suitable coil or coil pack, and shouldn't mix systems without checking compatibility.

SEP field working, not spotted in 101,600 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June

Quick update:

Components in, Guy will be soldering them up this week. Oliver is bringing me a pulley tonight which I will send off to the machine shop. Once the boards are build I'll measure up for a loom and then we will be able to get the first install started.

There will be some optional extras:

Metal case (instead of plastic) with mounting lugs +£10

Map sensor +£12

So far we look to be on target for the budget, pending bridges having a goodly supply of old escrots. We should have a first install running by the end of the month. As soon as I get some time I'll offer the remaining first build kits out in order of those who showed interest first. Once the first install is known working I will take orders for the second build. I know this stretches out the timescales a little for some of you, but I don't want to be lumbered with £500 of components.

Bill