Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing FIA bar

aldridgen

I have a 1999 Vauxhall 1600 live axle car and would like to powder-coat the FIA bar. Is removing and replacing the FIA bar a very involved job which should be left to the professionals or is it something that can easily be managed at home? Nick.

KayTee. Sorry, not a wind-up. As you can tell I am a complete novice, although I was led to believe there was more to it than just un-bolting the bar. Paul. Are you local to Staffordshire? I live in Newcastle, Staffs. If so I wouldnt mind a look at your er bar, if you had it plastic coated. Nick.

Come to think of it ... Maybe your FIA bar has one bolt on each vertical leg bolted into it from below, fom inside the damper turret ?

Any idea, anyone ? If that's the case, then we're talking 'shocks out' first.

Nothing much, either, but then you need axle stands.

Why not powder-coat ? Mine is, and it is a very good finish.

Regards - Karsten

Well, Si, mine is a l-a chassis, too, and the FIA bar is attached from the 'outside' only.

*BUT* it's an early-spec short-cockpit chassis.

Now you can all have a laugh on me, big-mouthed Kraut that I am ...

Sorry 'bout that !

Still, it's *only* an unbolt-it-job.

The tea would be dead and cold, though, if you waited for it ;-)

Bye for now - Karsten

Nick,

I didn't have my roll bar nylon coated, but I have had anything else done that is subject to damage/corrosion i.e. so far, springs,ARB,A-frame. Next on the list will be the front wishbones, radius arms and maybe the De-dion. The finish is superb and, as I said, much more resilient than powder coat. Kelcoat do powder as well, but themselves recommend the nylon as far better - they are also extremely reasonable price-wise, but don't tell them that! They also do colours as well as black, certainly red and green I think. I'm in Cheshire and you're welcome to take a look if you want, but from Staffs. you might be better going to their place in Leek and having a look at some of the stuff they're doing. Give me a call if you want more info - 01606-784078

Paul