Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx 8 valve replacement

C7JFM

I'm saving up to convert (over the winter) mine to either a Zetec, K or Blade engine.

The Zetec I'm lead to believe will be the 'most' straight forward. It apparently 'almost' drops straight in. using your existing webbers on a 2l will get you around 160BHP. Cost seems to be around 3K if you do it your self. Chlarse, you've done this haven't you? How did it go?

The K, may or may not need some chassis mods. Need to follow this up at Caterham. It apparently depends on what year Classic you have. Although, when I told them the year of mine, the guy at Stoneleigh didn't know, so I need to ring them up of rthe exact info.

The Blade engine is my favourite way to go. The car at Stoneleigh looked good. I really like the idea of the sequencial box. However, am a little concerned about the practicality of this option though. I have found 2 people who have done bike conversions to 7's (local to me) who have agreed to gove me a demo. So now I just need to sort this out. I'm also going on the se7ens list EURO2001 tour where there will be 2 (I think) bike engined cars. So I will be keeping a close eye on them.

The Zetec seems the most obvious way to go, as it is 'probably' the 'easiest' to fit. The K is nice and light. and the bike engine seems, to me, to be the most fun.

The other option is the 1600 Ecotec 16v Vx. The 2l would probably kill our axles, but the 1600 'should' be OK and can produce a lot of power still. You would also think that it would fit in resonably easy to. The 1400 may also be an option.

Of course the other option is to sell our cars and get a De-Dion with a better engine... But I can't bare to think about selling my Molly. So that's out of the question. smile.gif

Don't take anything I say as gospel, but this what I've been looking at doing.

Edited by - buroz on 21 May 2001 19:08:23

Yes Buroz is right, the Zetec is a very easy conversion but, I believe, the 1600 Vx Ecotec will also fit although not sure if the engine mounts are easily available.

Depending on which gearbox you have, the Zetec may, in fact, be the only viable option. If you have the 4 speed, your choices are Ford based only, but with different bell housings on a 5 speed (or 6), I believe the K will fit the live axle car car as well although a bit more complex to do.

The Fireblade option does sound appealing and the prototype pink beast was very impressive at the recent Brooklands handling day. Personally I am not so sure I could live with one though for mainly road use; the gearchange while impressive could, I think, become a little tiresome and jerky for regular road usage.

The live axle is the Achilles heel of the Classic if you are upgrading the engine although even that can be overcome by fitting a Ford axle. Alternatively, fitting an LSD to the Ital axle and 'Paul Harvey' mods to the half shaft bearings does go a long way to answering the inherent problems with these axles.

I have a Zetec 2L fitted with an unmodified (at the moment) Ital axle and provided I curb my more hooligan tendencies, it seems just fine. Time will tell however! thumbsup.gif

Brent

Edited by - brent chiswick on 21 May 2001 23:18:04

As you have an 8v VX the best option is a VX 16v. Uses most of the ancillery stuff you already have (if you get a 16V with a disty) and the bits you dont have are readily available secondhand from all those who are moving to TB's and upgrading exhausts.

You can even put a 16v head on your existing block (bore it from 80mm to 86mm) and just get the crank and rods and pistons from the 16V. As a guide I sold a set of 300 mile crank and rods fo £50. This std stuff is dirt cheap.

Zetecs good, but will be more expensive as you have an 8v VX car. I agree entirely that if you had an XFlow the Zetc or Blade are the best ways (each in their own) to go.

Edited by - fat arnie on 21 May 2001 23:54:14