Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Radiator?

knowley

After searching & reading lots of posts on radiators and Laminovas I have a question or two *wink*

I plan to fit a Laminova as the 120degree oil tempreature reading is not to my liking, although I understand is normal on track.

I don't race as such but do trackdays and enjoy the summer heat so is there any need to upgrade the radiator? If so should I go the whole hog and get a Caterham Race radiator or will the Radtec replacement radiator be ample?

Thanks

R300 Register

My R300 *wink*

Hi, suggest you change one item at a time ( this not a suggest I have followed on my car 😬) and it will help enable constructive development.

You can always change rad afterwards and go for best quality you can afford

If you go for a laminova have a look at the medium size one ( c.250 mm ?) the small one is I suspect not going to help much and the large one will probably need a hole in the bonnet.

My one fitted nicely under nose cone at an angle between head and rad.

Regards

I think the standard ali rad is OK *thumbup*

I just changed from the standard steel/brass/gunmetal effort on my HPC to an ali rad off a K ☹️, and despite all my reservations of consequent massive coolant leaks and HG failure like all you K boys have *tongue*, the thing actually works *thumbup*, and in fact my coolant temp has fallen by 10 degs. *thumbup*

Paul

• Support Team

The standard black Caterham radiator is highly unlikley to cope but the ali one might - keep an eye on your water temperature on track as the Laminova will be dumping heat from the oil into the cooling system. I found that not only did the oil temperature get to 120+ but the water temp was well over 100 as well. I fitted a Laminova and a Radtec radiator at the same time and now after a 20 minute track session (on a hot day) the oil will be less than 100 and the water in the high 90's - a great improvement and temperatures that I am a lot happier about.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

An additional method, which I can highly recommend is using a product call "Water Wetter" I have used this in the past in a single seater, where overheating could sometimes be a real issue on a hot day and it really made a big difference in dropping the temparatures. You can pick it up in race supplies shops like demon tweeks. It works by breaking down the surface tension of the water in a cooling system thereby improving heat transfer from the engine to the coolant and from coolant to radiator. Not sure if there are any similar products?

Caterham SV-R – Coming soon *eek* - Will it meet your expectations and budget? *thumbup* *thumbdown* 🤔