Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toe In ? Toe Out ? Neutral ?

CHRIS CLARK

As is always the way when Caterham owners get together a 'simple' question becomes a subject for long discussions.

So, where to start with my 'K' 1400SS on 15" Prisoners. Please give me your experiences and I'll see what transpires!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm aware there are many variables in regard to castor/camber etc but humour me.

TIA

PS. My Owners Manual says set between 10 & 30 minutes toe in for road use!

Had the same questions last week, after fitting an adj top wishbone and new arb.

Caterham, advised 10 to 20 minutes toe out. Manual suggested, either neutral or 10 to 20 minutes toe in. It all depends on what you are using the car for. If you are on the track a lot, toe in seems to be the answer. In the end, I had the tracking set to neutral, working on the theory, that then I can adjust it myself, a quarter of a turn until it feels ok.

As it is, on the road, neutral seems ok at the moment. I also have about 1.5 degs of neg camber.

Robert

"If you are on the track a lot, toe in seems to be the answer"

I would say the other way around.

Toe in = stability for the road. Toe out = nippy for round the track corners.

My car was orrible with toe in and is now happy on the 10 - 20 toe out.

Mix of mostly road and a bit of track.

This is my latest focus of attention. At the Cadwell track day I toed it out by half a turn from usual and it was better at avoiding washout on the tight corners (Hairpin, Barn, Mansfield). Drove home, thinking I might have found a magic improvement in setup and it was a difficult job of concentration to keep it in lane on the road. Switched the toe back by that half a turn and the road manners improved again.

At least I know I am in the ballpark by having it so responsive to changes. I suppose now would be the time to take it to an alignment place for the first time in three years and get everything measured.

(Comments relevant to 13 inch ACB10s, inevitably)

I would reckon that starting with straightahead and experimenting is the best bet.