Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo tank effect on oil pressure

Graham King

I have just traded in my 1.8K Roadsport for a 1.8Kss SuperLight which I picked up on Friday.

My previous car used to have a warm engine oil pressure of 4 bar at running speeds and 2 bar at idle, the new car has a warm engine oil pressure of 3ish at running speeds and 1ish at idle.

The new car has an Apollo tank fitted which I seem to remember reading somewhere affected the oil pressure reading, although can't remember why. Does anyone know if this is really the case and if so by how much is it affected. I am just trying to work out if I need to be concerned or not, and need to get it checked, the car was purchased from Caterham so is under their 3 month used warranty.

On a related point, with the Apollo I also now get a switch that changes the temperature display between oil and water, this works fine, but what is a reasonable running temperature for the oil, it seems to run between 80 - 100 depending on driving style but I don't really have a benchmark to compare it against.

Any advice appreciated.

Graham.

• Support Team

When I had my Apollo tank fitted the oil pressures dropped a bit so that sounds fairly normal. 80-100 sounds like a reasonable oil temperature. If you do trackdays you may find that you get high oil temperatures which is mainly due to the crank thrashing around in the oil in the sump. If you do get consistently high oil temperatures on track (i.e. over 120 then you may want to fit an oil cooler of some sort.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

R7

Sounds about normal. I've got a 1.6K ss with apollo & my oil pressure is about the same as yours *thumbup*

Takes a lot longer to get the oil up to a working temp of 80 as there is 7.5 L of of oil in there. Normally runs at 75 - 80 except on the track. Last Saturday it got up to 100 at Llandow but it was & very hot day & I've got an oil cooler fitted than helps reduce it a bit.

Hope that helps

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

Ditto. 1.6ss with varying oil pressures depending on which sender unit is screwed in (I've had about 4!).

Currently 4-5bar cold, 4bar hot @ 3000rpm, 1.5-2 bar hot at idle. Has previously been about 1.5 bar less all round with a different sender *eek*.

I believe the sender units are all individually crafted to completely different tolerances by a little man with a strange sense of humour who was put on this earth to feed our natural anxiety & paranoia about all things mechanical 🙆🏻

There is a restricted flow through the top line on the Apollo tank. Approx 1mm if i remember correctly. Therefore the tank demands a flow of it's own i.e. oil does not just flow through it to the engine. This will increase flow/reduce pressure from a fixed displacement pump *wink*

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

I would second these comments. Had an Apollo fitted earlier this year and the pressure when running normally is probably half a bar less than without the Apollo. Temperature wise, again in normal road running, there does not seem to be a lot of difference between oil and water temp, both run about 80ish.

The big surprise is how long the oil takes to reach a proper temperature.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Just to add further & adding to the warmer comfy feeling..

What you mention is normal. I have a 1.8ss as well. Until recently my oil temp was always around 80-85 now the weather is warming a little it has crept upto around 100.

The oil pressure readings you report are identical to what I see on mine.

Will be in Spain end of May so will expect temp to be a little warmer again 😬 *cool*

Enjoy the car 😬

*thumbup* GrannY OrB TuneR *thumbup*

😳 Tweaker Of Fine Granny Orbs ! 😳

*biggrin* Superlight No: 170 *biggrin*