Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Apollo Tank in K Series, help wanted.

Mick Day

Picked up an Apollo tank from Caterham last Thursday & 2 minutes into fitting it realised there are parts missing!!??** Thank you Caterham! The photo's supplied (B/W photocopies) are not too illuminating & the problem I can see is the oil pipe take off from the sandwich plate may foul the alternator. Any tips anybody? Secondly the instructions recommend routing the oil pipes through the alternator belt: how do you stop the belt fouling the pipes? Anybody got any photo's of their car showing how they did it?

Mick

I know it sounds risky to route the oil pipes through the alternator belt but thats how its done and once you have secured them to the belt adjustment bracket with a couple of tiewraps it is very secure.

The only problem I had with the kit was that it was necessary to trim off one of the lugs on the block with a file in oder that the oil pipes coming from the sandwich plate could be routed without stressing them. With the pipes stressed I could not get the sandwich plate to seal.

The pictures are worse than useless; photocopies of a photocopy of a photocopy etc etc. Actually, they are c..p!!!

The best pictures are on a Se7ens.net site that show in detail the correct fitting procedure. The sandwich plate goes on with the take offs facing up and as stated the pipes go forward thro. the alternator belt. Best to have a spare belt tied up out of the way with the pipes thro. it too so that if you ever throw one you can do a roadside refit without an oil drain down!!!!

Good Luck!

i suggest you fit and tighten the oil pipes to the sandwich plate before fitting the plate and oil filter. If you don't you may need a crows foot spanner to get onto the fittings to seal. The unit sits on a supplied plate that is pop rivited to the frame tubes I have not used the wigget supplied to clamp the top but tied it back to the top frame member with a piece of silicon hose as an anti vibration damper. All works well but I should have threaded a spare alternator belt over and tied it back - just like the old mini fan belts