Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Shaking itself to bits... Mystery nut?

Christian P

OK, so here's a little something for those in the know.

Had a nice run out this evening 😬

Got home, got out of the car and found, to my surprise, a 7mm Nylock nut lying in the driver's side footwell (blue nylon bit looking a bit mullered, which would explain its change of location no doubt). This was a new arrival, since I'd had the carpet out only yesterday for a quick clean and it wasn't there then.

So, the question is: where has the nut come from?

A quick upsidedown head-in-the-footwell check revealed nothing hanging off or loose, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Answers most welcome!

Ta,

Christian

C7 CCL - broom broom

Christian - Could be throttle pedal mounting *eek*, or the brake/clutch mounting (double *eek*) - sure these are nylocs.

I'd take the pedal box cover off tomorrow and check what's what - Most things in the footwell are pretty important...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 1000 miles completed!

Right.

Had the pedal box cover off this afternoon and there was no sign of anything being loose, missing, or indeed having ever been the home to my mystery 7mm Nylock nut. (Indeed, as you'd hope, everything was very firmly in place.)

Also had another, more detailed, nose around under the dash and into both footwells without any sign of a bolt needing a nut...

So, can the combined knowledge of Blatchat come up with anywhere else this nut may have appeared from?

The only other think I can think of is that it somehow (given that its nylon ring is completely out of place, i.e. it was never actually attached to anything) got into the car as loose during the (factory) build and has only now (nearly three years later) reappeared. Unlikely but possible.

Thoughts?!

Christian

I'm not near my car at the moment, but if I recall there are nylocs on 2 bolts that secure the lower steering column bushing housing to the firewall (i.e. where the steering column comes out through the firewall). Were you able to get a look at those whilst under the dash?

Can't recall specifically but I don't think there were any studs needing a bolt. (My car's not to hand either.) Anyway, it's a comparatively diddy little nut and I suspect the steering column has slighlty larger nuts (10mm?).

Ta for the suggestion, though: something else to check!

C7 CCL - broom broom

Hmmm. Forgot that you mentioned the size. Agree a 7mm nut sounds small for those (we're talking wrench size, right? As opposed to diameter of the bolt shank itself?). Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure those bolts on my car are SAE not metric anyhow, so perhaps not it. Well, have a look, and I'll keep scratching my head. *confused*

A 7mm is a weird size. 6 and 8 are favoured, being shank dia 4 and 5 mm respectively. I can't think of a UNF nut which is 7mm (approw) across the flats. The reason I ask is that if it's UNF it almost certainly comes from the chassis rather than the mechanicals. Have you tried it on known bolts to establish thread type?

There's a bit of the Roadsport cage held on with nuts about that size. I take it yours doesn't have this?

Morning chaps.

Xflow: it is indeed a 7mm nut by spanner size, i.e. across the flats, as batteredold... says. (Have checked this lots in case I'm being thick; you'd definitely need a 7mm spanner to turn this puppy!)

The car is a K series Roadsport (no cage) so I'll have a look at the immobiliser mounts later today.

Steve: I was careful to check the throttle stop yesterday afternoon, as well as the pedal mount itself. All safe and sound, so nothing doing there.

Batteredold... I haven't tried it on a thread - good call. Will see what that throws up.

Watch this space!

C7 CCL - broom broom

Actually, the more I think about it the more I think it probably was road debris. Bizarrely, it's happened before; a similar nut, though I knew that time that it was road debris because the car was only a year old and the nut was thoroughly mashed, trashed and rusty.

Still, I'll have another look later.

It's so exciting....

Well now. Another check (torch, various yoga positions, crook neck) reveals that the immobiliser mounts are all sound as is the steering column area.

In fact, Simon Lambert (Caterham Aftersales) is also kindly checking where such a nut might originate from (a 4mm nut, I'm told - turned by a 7mm spanner) which should, I hope, bring the matter to a close *wink*.

Will let you all know - I know you're on the edges of your seats...

C7 CCL - broom broom

Thanks Mick. Have done that already, actually. All present and correct.

In fact, Simon at Caterham has come back to me with news that, other than those used to install some of the Stack instrumentation, the factory guys couldn't suggest where such a nut might come from. So I think that brings the whole matter to a close. Now that I've reassured myself that the brakes will carry on working and that the steering column isn't about drop into my lap, it's back to blatting as usual I think.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions - Blatchat's contributors showing their usual high standards of dedication to all matters Seven. 😬

CP

C7 CCL - broom broom