Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vecta Immobiliser problems

Colin S

Whilst out for an evening blat the engine suddenly died on me, resulting in an embarrassing ride home on the back of the breakdown truck. I have traced the problem to the Vecta control box and a swift blow with a wooden mallett saw normal power restored, try as I might I cannot get it to fail again. I am loathed to go to far from home as I feel I can no longer trust it.

Has anyone else experienced similar and if so what did you do about it? Should I have the unit changed anyway? Dread to think how much it will cost, any ideas?

K8 GRS VX

Thanks Chris, I have pushed and pulled everything and cannot make the fault reappear. I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and get it checked out as I don't want it to fail somewhere high up in the Alps in June. I'll speak to Caterham on Monday. Cheers

K8 GRS VX

My vecta started randomly immobilising me last year and after talking to Caterham I had a Shurlock fitted by the chap who does a lot of work for the factory.He came up to N.Yorks for his petrol money and a bacon sandwich,did the job excellently and the unit has performed faultlessly

Immobilising on the road? This sounds a bit worrying. I am losing faith with mine (on a HPC) When I come to fire up the mighty beast it can take up to 30 seconds before the little LED goes green. Not too bad in my garage but I wouldnt want it to happen away from home. Any comments?

DAVID L

I've got a Vecta which, so far, hasn't caused me any problems (just looking for a bit of wood to grasp!) but I have read other postings in the last year or so where these do seem to be troublesome. Are they easy to by-pass or replace if necessary? As AVES says they will always choose to pack up in the most inconvenient location.

Mind you I suppose if they were that easy to by-pass they wouldn't be doing their job! I have never looked for it but presume it is under the dash somewhere, what does it look like?

Brent

Mine dumped me on the roadside in France. I had to dewire it by telephone whilst the local garage owner looked on and offered advice. My French is marginaly better than my wiring expertise (both poor) so I was more than a little relieved when after about 2 hours it fired up.

The problem was apparently caused by the potting resin which encapsulates the electronics expanding and contracting at a slightly different rate to the electronics that it surrounded thus setting up cracks in the circuits.

Needless to say I have not replaced my Vecta.

Roger

Mine is under the dash not far from the wiper motor / about the fuse rack.

It's a black cylinder about 5" long x 1.5" diameter.

The ECU is not normally connected to the Vecta.. Mine wasn't nor does it immob the

fuel pump! This is on a VXC. May be different on a VXI..

James W said something about it controlling the starter solenoid power only.

That is easier to bypass / hot wire.

I have not had any probs in 8000 miles so touch wood...

Well to cheer (?) viewers up even more, occasional poster to these parts Peter Coles has just had his 'Vecta' removed (from a 1400 'K') as his was letting him down & giving troublesome starting problems. Now its gone problems have also!!!

Chris Clark--Vecta owner with only one key!!!

Before promotion to the role of my domestic slave, my wife's occupational responsibilites included running a fleet of about 150 company cars. (BMW's Saabs Mercs VW's etc)

Having lost a Merc 300 and a Senator to thieves both on the same day (!!)(this was back in about 1992) the insurers stated that all vehicles on the fleet needed to have a Thatcham approved immobilisor.

Being a hi tech fast growing company she worked for they went and bought the most expensive imobilisers they could - Vecta Managusta's

Over the next 24 months, they experienced so many failures (of the actual unit rather than the installation) they ditched them and went to a new insurance co.

I threw the immobliser on my Seven away in 1994 and got the insurers to accept that removing the ECU was just as an effective deterrent. Being an MBE ECU this is rather easier than those with Rover MEMS unist which are hardly pocket sized!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Temporarily Indisposed Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

And to think, I didn't have a care in the world when I woke up this morning!

Well at least I have got 2 keys, so things can't be all bad.

But hang on, 1 key or a hundred keys - no good if the damn thing packs up!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well as I started this debate, I thought I had better bring things up to date.

Whilst making enquiries about my failed Vecta alarm I have been informed that Vecta have gone bust, Oh dear I hear you all cry.

I have gone for a TOAD powerkey as an alternative. I have no doubt that all you doom and gloom merchants will have something to say about that however I an reliably informed (I hope)that if it fails it will fail safe and not cut the engine out as the Vecta did. This was not a pleasant experience and could have had serious reprocussions had I been on a motorway for example.

It won't be fitted until next Tuesday so the bank holiday weekend is sure to be bright and sunny and warm and dry and........... boy will I be p****d off.

Enjoy the weekend I will be thinking off you all and looking out of the window and wishing and.......... Ah b*****ks.

K8 GRS VX