Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Weber Alpha 3D Haggis run report

stevefoster

Thought I'd let you know how it went....

The Wed evening before the Thurs drive up to Scotland I went to Webcon in Sunbury to get the ECU remapped. They put a Formula Vauxhall map in it that eliminated the pinking problem entirely. Apparently I have a higher compression engine?!

I am now running 38 mm Chokes on 45's on the VXC. Swapped down from 40 mm chokes and ?standard? Caterham jetting. The Caterham set was giving me average of 20-22 mpg.

The usual F16 mains

Can't remember the air correctors.

I drove up to Scotland on the 55F8 idle jets that were giving a some hesitancy and lumpiness in lower rev ranges.

On the motorway at a constant 70 (true speed) she returned at best 33 to the gallon.

I could not believe it! Even the many blatty fast runs returned 28, 29 to the gallon.

Half way throught the 5 day trip I swapped the Idle jets to 50F9 and retuned.

This gave much better low throttle response but I never saw better than 27mpg.

The worst mpg came on the twisties when I was really giving it stick and that was 26mpg.

The whole trip of 10 fill ups, recorded an average of 27.1 mpg.

A happy compromise.

You can feel the amount of throttle needed to continue forward motion is much lighter than before.

At 5000 miles a year I will save the cost of the mapping and rechoke / jetting in a couple of years in petrol alone! Of course the improvement in fun of driving is more difficult to put a price on.

Steve

Apologies - I've obviously come in late on this topic, but...

I've got Weber Alpha mapped ignition on my 1600 x-flow (with twin 40DCOE's) and I've never ever seen better than 26-7mpg, even when tootling. Getting serious drops it to less than 20mpg [:-(]. Which engine do you have?

Oli

I used to get around 22-24mpg tootling, 18mpg or so when having fun, so fitting of 3D hasn't resulted in a substantial fuel benefit. Major improvement to smoothness, power and 'feel' though...