Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear ride height - progressive rate springs

allen

I have a quite non standard 7 - live axle, Spax Dampers. 1800 Zetec (about 20 KG heavier than the old xflow) Springs 280 front 110 rears. Rear axle (ford) is not located using A frame, it uses 4 radius arms coming forward, picking up in the chassis sides about in line with the dash, with a fifth link locating side to side movement of the axle from the nearside end of the axle to the offside chassis. (not an uncommon racing mod at one time I believe).

So, two questions:-

Firstly - My current ride height at the rear is low, loaded up it frequently bottoms out. I have now purchased adjustable spring platforms for the shocks. I have checked the old technical forum posts and understand standard ride height settings (155 & 140, 10 to 15mm difference between front & rear). I believe this to be in part due to the location of the low Aframe mounting to the axle. Does the advice hold true for my set-up?

Secondly - Comfort wise I am fairly happy at the rear spring rate, and am considering progressive rate rear springs (having looked at the 7gallery I note that Brent Chiswick has a 2litre zetec life axle and is running progressive rate rear springs) – Advice please, what are suitable, will they fit my Spax shocks, where can I get them etc.

Thanks in advance

Allen

Edited by - allen on 18 May 2001 12:27:14

Hi Allen

Yes I have got progressive rate rear springs. Mine came from Caterham fitted to Bilsteins but I see no reason why they shouldn't fit Spax shockers as well.

Ride height on these springs is about 175 mm measured just in front of wheel arch from ground to u/side of chassis. Slightly higher than on standard springs due to the initial compression on the lower rate part of the spring. Makes quite a difference to the ride on a live axle.

Brent

The ones Caterham supply on the De Dion cars are 110lb/in at their softest, around 150-160lb/in with a normalish driver on board, around 180lb/in with 2 people on board and a bit over 200lb/in when the bumpstop intervenes.

Mike

Thanks Brent and Mike, question on progressive springs now answered. Much appreciated.biggrin.gif

Returning to the first question - Anyone know about front/rear ride height on non A frame cars?

Thanks again