Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Restore 60s Elan

harold

The value of the Twin Cam really depends on which one you have and its basic condition.

If the engine turns over freely by hand but needs a re-build I would guess the value would be

£650 ish for Stromberg carbed engine.

£850 ish for a standard Weber carbed engine

£1000 ish for a "Big Valve" 130 engine.

Let me know what it is as I may know someone who is interetsted.

Harold

I also have an old Elan+2 (assuming it's still in it's lock-up) would be interested in any companies you find that are useful for doing bits.

It's was going to get restored end of last year and then I found a really cheap SuperSprint that begged me to buy it as it was driveable with an MOT!!

So the Lotus will have to wait again for a bit longer until I've finished sorting out the Caterham.

The trouble with the plus 2's is that sadly they just don't seem to be worth an awful lot, although I think that Christopher Neil sports cars had a couple advertised in this months Classic Car for 10 - 12K which made me happier cos as and when I get round to doing it I figured on a budget of at least 5 - 6K and that would not even be going mad!

So you've got to keep the car and use it for a while to get that back as it wouldn't be a good business proposition. I'm loathed to sell mine as I've had it for such a long time (but never had the time/and or money at the same time) and it's such a beautiful car!

Re: the engine, a mate of mine races and I think that it may fetch a better price in Historic Formula Ford circles as they still use twin cams but spares are getting harder to find.

Keep me posted and good luck

Rgds

😬

fibreglass is a dark art, not so much to make it look nice but so as to finish to a standard that will remain nice for some time. for this reason it really is not worth skimping on price in this area. get reccomendations of local restorers. i would not reccommend diy as an option for such a car. if you really must the buy reliant scimitar or similar to practice on, it will be worth the extra expense and time if it means you only have to do the elan once!

but hey, what do i know?

This is terrible..... ☹️. It has taken me many years to get over my desire for another plus 2 Elan. I have had a couple of Caterhams and currently looking for another.

And now *mad* you get me to visit the spyder site *confused*. Their option really is quite nice and so incredibly practical, quick and still soooo pretty.

Is it either or........or maybe both 😬