Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Decals and numbers

robert green

Robert

Being bare ali I can't really help from the paint side.

For applying stickers though, with no bubbles, soapy water is great and allows you to reposition until the water is squeegee'd out.

However, they will stick like sh*t to a blanket once they dry. I assume Caterham apply paint well enough for it not to come off!

I used to use a drop or two of car wask soap (Autoglym for example) to a bucket of water.

Remove the backing from the decal.

Soak it (especially the sticky bit!) in the soapy water.

Wet the area on the car it is to be stuck to with a clean soapy watered sponge

Slap it on the car and wiggle it into position.

When happy, squeegee out the water - completely. You will make sure the decal doesn't slip. I use a square of stiff plastic with a straight edge as the squeegee (video cassette boxes are great for this)

Make sure the water (and bucket) and car are clean. Even small grains of grit look horrible under stickers, expecially transparent ones.

Make sure you squeegee all water out from behind the sticker. Any left behind clear stickers will go a horrible white colour.

HTH

Guy

NN 😳

Edited by - No Nuts on 21 Apr 2004 17:25:58

Robert,

What I do for decals/number square on my painted car is to obviously make sure it is completely clean first and then wax the areas that will be covered by decals a couple of times to build up a good layer of wax on top of the paint to act as a barrier. To apply stickers most can normally be applied dry pushing the air pockets out from the centre or use the soapy water approach. The wax under the decals should help with their removal. Its worked for the last 6 years!

Brian

Still Trainee Clerk of the Course