Click here if you are having website access problems ×

02"SLR 235BHP!" £22,999

Dave York

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave

Thanks for the test drive. That car is so quick. I've thought long and hard about it. On the plus side is the specification, paint (by the way, the photo on pistonheads doesn't do it justice) and the superb attention to detail and build quality. On the downside, I was hoping to get something that would be competetive but that I would be able to drive to events.

Clearly, without changing the roll cage, adding heaters, screen, windshield etc, it would be ok driving in this weather but I'm guessing might lose something when the weather turns back to our usual English state.

So, having come the decision that I'm going to be trailering everywhere, I'm going to widen my scope a little and look at some single seaters. I'll get back to you.

It was good to meet you and your family. Thanks for the hospitality.

David *biggrin*

Having journeyed down with David Grey to see your car, I have been wondering whether I dare add it to my hillclimb VX-engined 7 and road-going K-engined SV160. Unfortunately she-who-must-be-obeyed says 2 is already greedy and wants a new kitchen. But I was that close.

For other's benefit this is a serious 7 with the best mannered 235bhp engine I have ever come across, impressively starting on the button with driver not in the car and idling quietly. Very well mapped engine.

Dave Kimberley and I are very particular about the built quality of our hillclimb car and yours at least equals it - if not beats it ! and that says a lot to your attention to detail.

It is one of the best 7's I have seen and deserves a worthy owner. I can see that it has been built without regard to cost and it shows. All the right bits.

Although easily possible,, it would be quite a shame to put full weather equipment on it. It would suit someone wanting to compete in Sprints and Hillclimbs. Ideally it needs trailering to events. For the hardy 7 owners who want to drive long distances then a helical cut 5th gear could be put in the Quaife box for about £300 for quieter cruising.

Price ? Not sure. Better built than a factory built R500. Would cost a lot more than your asking price to build.

Don't sell it. It is much more fun than an Ultima !

David Richard,

Thanks for the BTTT and the comments!

This car needs to go so if there are any serious Track day addicts / Future sprint/hillclimb champions / gotta have the best Caterham people out there now would be a good time to contact me.

😬

• 2 weeks later...

Bernard,

Sorry do not have a clue as to the cost of converting to LHD.

It definetly would have to go back to Arch for the conversion as the main tube under the dash would need to be changed, Pedal box changed, New dash etc.......

I'm not in the market for an additional Seven and Dave is a mate, but I'm amazed that someone hasn't bought this car yet.

Having seen the craftsmanship and care that has gone into it and the carefully worked out spec it's a bargain IMHO for anyone who wants to actually use a Seven seriously but still keep it as a fast and reliable road car.

A similar specced car would cost a LOT more dosh, whereas a 'Standard' car for a similar sum would not be as effective.

Oh and Dave did you tell them that the car was painted by the same guys that paint two top F1 teams' cars?

A lot of modified cars have a good spec on paper but when you see them in real life there's something not quite right - corners have been cut, cheap bits used in place of top dollar ones and so forth. Dave's car is NOT like that.

Ya just gotta see it...

Andy

Cheers ............ that will help Dave sell his car wont it !!! *mad*

My insurance premium fully decalred > 200bhp = £267 with edgar lawson on 7500miles , friends 230bhp "bespoke" Caterham is only £20 more .

Insurance is not a problem if you go to the right people IMHO ...........

Dave

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOPhere *tongue*

Dave - Couldn't agree more. I drive a 'bespoke' 7 producing 240bhp and my premium is £350 fully comp, this might seem a lot, but i'm only 24.

The right deals are out there, just keep looking.

Now, back to the topic, if i had the money i would snap this car up, the spec looks awesome as does the picture. Just wish i could afford it...... ☹️

good luck selling it *thumbup*

M.

• 2 weeks later...

*arrowup*

2002 Caterham "SLR".

1.8 K 235HP 160 ftlbs torque, full DVA modified cylinder head VVC, Paul Ivey etc., 1227 Piper cams, Piper adjustable pulleys, Jenvey 42mm throttle bodies, Pico 480 injectors, carbon fibre trumpets and filter backing plate, adjustable fuel regulator, Emerald ECU, steel bottom end including Doug Kiddie Crank, Arrow Rods, Omega floating pistons, QED banded liners, steel oil pump gear, Vandervill bearings, lightened flywheel, AP 7.25 clutch, drysump oiling system, large alloy race radiator, braided stainless w/alloy fittings fuel line. Red Top battery relocated to boot, Quaife close ratio straight cut 5 speed 2.39 first with alloy cover, Quaife quick shift, ZF limited slip diff with 3.9 ratio. Mike Barnaby Magnesium wheels with 205/13 and 185/13 Avon AO48’s, carbon fibre nose cone, AWebb carbon fibre/kevlar cycle wings and rear wings, shortened cycle wing stays, Superlight R full roll cage, aeroscreen, Racetech mirrors, Stack 10K tach, sequential shift lights, FIA Cut off switch, S type leather seats as well as foam driver racing seat, modified Caterham AP brake kit, larger diameter AP rotors drilled with alloy bells, rear modified with AP alloy callipers and drilled rotors, AP racing master cylinder, braided stainless brake lines w/alloy fittings front and rear, wide track suspension and Dedion rear with Nitron fully adjustable dampers and springs, 22% quick rack, Momo wheel 280mm, quick release alloy steering hub.

Car currently weighs 500 Kilos with all fluids and half a tank of fuel.

Custom Pearl Metallic British Racing Green with Pearl Metallic Yellow Anniversary stripe.

This car built by experienced engineer and sympathetically modified to improve overall package. Registered in April 2002 and is on a current license plate. This car has done less than 3,000 miles and is in perfect condition. This is not a thrashed ex race car! It is road legal

Pictures can be seen at

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=22794&s=119

More pictures available on request.

To specify this car new would cost 40Kplus

Selling due to new project.

£22,999