Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SIERRA DIFF BEARING OIL SEALS (PART NUMBER)

Guy Lowe

Can anyone help me with the (Ford) part number for the diff bearing oil seals for the Sierra unit.

I have bought a pair of oil seals (Ford) part number 6107894 which looks right (the absence of model, year & chassis number didn’t impress my local Ford dealer), but before I remove the old one's I want top make sure. Anyone know the number or has got one lying about in their Garage they could have a look at for me?

Guy

Are these fairly easy to replace (i.e. no need to remove the diff and pull it apart)?

Mine has been weeping oil through one driveshaft since I removed the diff to change the prop - I guess I badgered it a bit getting the drive-shaft back in...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

driveshafts need to come out which normally means dropping off the rear hubs etc!have a tray/ bucket ready to catch the old oil as it will pour from where the driveshafts used to sit. carefully prize out old seals with screwdriver.get the new ones and place a socket or similar that is bigger than the lip of the seal but smaller than the aluminium ring that you are trying to get the seal to slide into. carefully tap the new seal into place, moving the seal as evenly as possible (eg, tap equally round all sides of the seal, nice and gently). once they are in place you can re-insert the driveshafts as follows. put a good smear of low melting point grease (Castrol LM is perfect and available from any halfords) onto the inside lip of the seals (do not use cv grease!). next, check the driveshafts for any burrs or pits (small indents) and remove them if neccessary with a very light grade of wet and dry paper.this only needs to be done where the seal runs (visible by a shiny shoulder between the casting and the spline) where the spline ends and the sealing face begins there is a shoulder, this shoulder is normally the culprit of damage to the seals upon installation of the driveshaft. you must grease this very carefully. now slide the drive shaft in, carefully lining the splines up with th diff by feel alone. it is important that great care is taken here to not touch the seal with the spline itself as they can distort and even cut the seal. when you reach the resistance of the seal itself, carefully rotate the diff with the driveshaft (the car must be in neutral for this)and gently push the shaft in. without being crude this should be treated with the same amount of care as deflowering virgins. the next step is to get the hubs etc to locate against their correct mounting surfaces. great care should be taken here that you do not pull the drivshaft out by mistake and push it back in without considering the oils seal. it is possible to remove the hubs from the driveshaft but the use of a hefty torqe wrench is required to replace the hub nuts. (if removed, new ones must be used! i have seen cars lose these nuts within 50 miles of them being reused instead of being replaced. they are not expensive enough to risk the damage to the car!) if this is written badly then apologies from me and you may email me for my phone number.

ps, DONT FORGET THE OIL!!!! this must be topped up by removing the level plug (situated approx halfway up the backplate of the diff) and syringe in oil till it starts to drip from this hole, then put the plug back in. remove the the plug with an allen bit and an extension bar but only tighten it again with a reasonable sized allen key as it is possible to damage the backplate by overtightening. for oil, i would personally use the oil reccommended by ford but i have had many arguments with other users of this site over what oils should be used for transmission components so please no repeat, the choice is yours!