Click here if you are having website access problems ×

more power for an Xflow without going daft!?

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

Ok I think I've finally decided to hang to the noisy old bu**ger. I've had a few discussions with Steve at Vulcan but haven't got the c.£2-2.5k at present ☹️...so I was wondering

..as a project over the next winter what is feasible for someone to do engine-wise to improve power and or torque (preferably the latter). Bear in mind the last time I took a head off the car was about 1979!

...or am I dreaming / pissing in the wind etc.

Any advice / thoughts are appreciated

Rog

What spec have you got at the moment? Lots of cheap tuning potential with a XFlow up to certain level then it gets expensive. Somebodies bount to suggest a zetec conversion but it would be very expensive. You could have a look for a secondhand x-flow engine with all the right bits.

What was on offer for 2K GBP?, over that which you already have, need to have more engine specific info for any worthwhile input from the collect wisdom here.

Personally my old dunger X-flow has an U/L head, ported and flowed, from Mr King, bottom end, and reciprocating parts balanced, bored to 1660cc, a 234 cam, and vernier timing gear, Aldon distrubutor, to suit the U/L characteristics, 2 x 40 DCOE carbs, Lumenition ignition, a 5 speed BGH gearbox, and she pulls like a train, makes a hugely satisfying noise, is reasonably economical, it is a X-flow!!!!, is not the fastest car on the road, but where do you stop throwing money at it.

Just my few penny worth, have fun, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

You can either:

a) Convert to a Zetec/Duratech/Fireblade - but this will cost a minimum of £3K, probably more.

b) Get someone else to do something - expensive.

c) Do it yourself, in which case it is mostly parts costs.

d) Get a 2nd hand one (ebay) - very risky but bargains to be had.

My 2 pence worth is basically you need to sort the exhaust and port the head. Then you need to look at a differnt cam, with vernier duplex gear to run it properly. This will usually mean upgrading the bottom end. 3d Ignitionis a great upgrade, but expense. There is loads of stuff in the archive about specs, and even costs of different bits.

Depends on what you want in the end.