Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

under bonnet sound deadening ideas?

gavinp

The acoustic foam was what I saw. Self adhesive + dampening sheet (stops vibration) + O grade sound deadening foam (whatever that means!) + foil (withstands 250C so OK for my engine bay!) + £35 for a large sheet (from another outfit called noise killers.)

gonna give it a whirl

Superlight R #41

Glenn, funny I was just thinking that on the way home, having just ordered the material! I even considered, in a mad moment, having 2 bonnets - one with the acoustic foam on to get me through Bedford Autodrome and another for the more civilised and welcoming tracks like Snett.

g

Superlight R #41

I spent a weekend tracing and resolving rattles and vibrations,, lots of tie wraps and bits of sticky backed foam with quite a bit of sheathing in old tubing to prevent metal to metal contact. The rear end from boot bases down was an especially noise area.

Made a huge differance to the overall noise level and driving experiance.

I can now hear the induction hammer and exhaust roar in all their glory and don't have to worry about premature failure due to vibration or chafing.

Or you could just get Brooklands and hear nothing but the wind 😬 😬

Paul M.

I ran with the inside of my bonnet lined with undercarpet felt, and I stress felt not that foam stuff. The felt is about 1" thick and positioned directly in front of the trumpets/airfilter. This significantly reduced the induction noise. No problems at Castle Combe but don`t think either Bedford or Goodwood would let me on.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 20 Apr 2004 10:16:15

Rob

Did you cover a large chunk of the inside bonnet area or just near the air filter? Really trying to avoid the ECU upgrade + vernier + Jenvey + air box £1500 upgrade route just to get through Bedford!

gavin

Superlight R #41

Good chance the foam will not help you as it's best at dealing with frequencies above 1KHz i.e. high pitched stuff. The O grade is a fireresistance spec and is very high but the film on the front of it doesn't meet the same spec so I would be wary of that. The film also deteriorates the sound deadening qualities of the foam so best off all round without it. Additionally grade O if the black stuff is very heavy although there is some lighter stuff out there it is even less efficient at tdealing with low frequency noise but better at high.

You need one of them airbox thingies

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs soon to be EFi'd