Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Caterham Speedometer's

tbhall777

The latest Sppedometers fitted by caterham have a digital (LCD)

adometer (mileometer / trip).

Does anybody know the following.

1/ How is it driven.

2/ where is the pickup and is it active (powered), or passive.

3/ can you programme it for wheel circumference.

4/ Is the analogue speedometer moved by stepper motor or moving coil etc.

5/ Can it be hacked easily.

So has my nissan mica.

A rover dealer is not going to know the answers to the questions

relating to a bespoke instrument, made for caterham by whoever,

wether a badged generic item or not.

i.e. Is the pickup wheel mounted, gearbox, propshaft. Err I dunno mate.

i.e. Can it be programmed. Err I dunno mate.etc.etc.

Thanks anyway. smile.gif

No offence meant Eric.

The vehicles may share a common engine, but that’s as far as it goes.

The rover is front wheel drive transverse.

The 7 is rear wheel drive, uses a totally different gearbox, with different ratios. The diff has a variety of ratios, wheel sizes, tires etc.

The rover range could well be driven from the ECU, which in turn would have to be programmed for all of the above variables as well as knowing what gear the vehicle is in. They probably take it from the gearbox, but could take it from one of the ABS sensors, but I guess that’s silly, because ABS is probably an option.

Caterham could have arranged it in such a way that all of these variables can be accommodated, probably the same as R500 /stack, which I think picks up from the gearbox and not for instance the front wheel disk bolts; as many do. But the stack is programmable and when correctly set will be very accurate.

If the units are not programmable, then they must be O.E.M. configured for the seven. It could well be that they are literally a direct copy of the older mechanical type and just as inaccurate. I am pretty sure there is no flexible drive involved. They are driven by a signal.

My guess is they use the standard array of speedo drive adapters for whatever gearbox and are not much better than the predecessors, although more reliable.

Anyway:- Once again; Thanks for the input.

I can dimly remember fitting mine, it connects to the 6 speed gearbox in the same place as the mechanical drive, though with a wire coming out rather than a cable. It's much easier to fit.

I am sure there was something about it that gave me the impression it was set up for my car, though this is NOT done by different size gears unlike the mechanincal versions.

It aslo differs in that it has 3 little lights built in, indicators, full beam and ignition, they are quite neat and move them away from between the dials on the dash board.

The needle still doesn't move very smoothly, particularly at low speeds, though whether that means it's a stepper motor or not I couldn't tell.

Si

"Caterham could have arranged it in such a way that all of these variables can be accommodated, probably the same as R500 /stack, which I think picks up from the gearbox and not for instance the front wheel disk bolts; as many do. But the stack is programmable and when correctly set will be very accurate."

actually you were correct first - its off the wheel bolts - and you can set the wheel diametre so ends up pretty accurate (but not when you first get it!)

Having a bad day Mikequestion.gif

Fact: Westf1eld have been using the electronic odo/speedo for quite a while. It would seem that C******m have just caught up, but I could be wrong........and why not phone the tech boys there. The advice will be good, and free.........apart from the cost of the call of course.

Fact: Westf1eld produced a 'Blade engined car before C******m

Fact: Westf1eld produced a "wide-bodied" car before C******m

C******m have yet to catch up on rear suspension design.......

Thus

Where Westf1eld, lead C******m follow, and the list keeps getting longer
tongue.gif

Or have I just bitten too fast and too hardsmile.gif

Retires to nomex bunker waiting for the next napalm...........

Boys, boys, boys - be nice with your mice thumbsup.gif

Otherwise Anna and I will take away your toys and give you all Saxo's instead - then you'd be well and truly s****ed blush.gif

FH wink.gif

The pick wheel up for the new spedo is the same as the old one. There's a gear in the tail of the 'box, which drives a transducer, which connects to the spedo via a simple electrical connector. This transducer replaces the previously mechanical 'angle' drive, which then connected to the spedo via the cable with the turny thing inside.

The gear in the tail of the 'box is different for different diff ratios, brown being the one for the 3.62 diff. I don't know what the colours are for other diff ratios, but know this is the way it's done as I spoke to the factory about it when mine seemed difficult to locate ("hit it harder with the mallet").

Jon

Bugger biggrin.gif

I surrender.........

Dave J...........I'm on "my" site simultaniously........

Tomorrow is another day, and the weather will be bettersmile.gifthumbsup.gif

Truce flag waving. You'll see it, if you can catch me.......tongue.gif

OK so now we know.

It's basic not programmable for circumference and will indicate somwhere

in the ballpark of legality. If you where to change from say 14" to 13"

wheels and perhaps 60 to 50 profile tyres; you would end up having to do

some calculation / phone caterham; then buy a new gearbox transducer,

which would be a compromise. i.e. reading 28mph at 30mph but better than

35mph at 30mph.

I personally think it's a shame it is not programmable for circumference

as it would have done away with brown, ping, red with brown spots adaptors

and would be accurate and accomadate any configuration.

Best to go to Halfords and buy a cycle computer, which has this and a host

of other functionality.

Thanks for all the input. Now Blat Off. smile.gifthumbsup.gif

i am currently on my third electronic speedo after various problems with lights/accuracy etc.. as far as i remember if you take the rubber grommet out of the back of the speedo there are a series of switches which can be altered to suit your combination of gearbox/diff/wheels.

James M