Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harness Fitting on early cars

Big Brother

Being very new to sevens (I get my first, a 1979 X-Flow early next week), can anyone give me some advice on fitting 4 or 6 point harnesses. I have got hold of a copy of the Caterham parts CD but the earliest car they seem to supply harnesses for is around 1984.

I assume it must be possible to fit harnesses to earlier cars, as people hillclimb and sprint in original Lotus Sevens.

Are there any differences in the mounting points, or is it just a case that Caterham didnt fit them until 1984?

TIA for any advice

Steve

Only a week to go................

Steve

Emission Internet

Early Sevens didnt have the necessary mount points. I know as I went through this a while back. Best to find a Seven garage (www.7workshop.com?)who can add the necessary mount points. Its not too hard to do. You could even try Arch to see if they can help (contact details for them are on the above website).

Small Boy - with Big Toy!

I have a 11/84 long cockpit car that everyone told me should have the bolt holes but did not. What I did was order a piece of 'U' shaped tubing which overlayed the rear tube that ran across the top of seat. I cut it to fit the length of tube exactly (it is a little long, maybe for variations). Then bent up the aluminum and had it mig welded on. In the piece of 'U' tube, it contains the 4 holes with the inserts for the correct sized bolts. It was undr a $100.00 (I live in USA) Ask Darren at Caterham parts. He told me about it in the first place. Though it is probably made at Arch. It was a ver good move and works fine. The 5th point is very easy to do. You just need to drill and use washers for support. If you have any more question you can email be directly. I recommend the conversion.

Richard Gibson

I did the Ali plate and hole in the floor way on my first 2 7's.

An aircraft structural tester 7 owner/friend and I did ours at the same time...

He knows a bit about dynamic structura; testing and failure and I figured that

what was good enough for him was good enough for me.