Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine dropping

jackb_ms

I have the bad feeling that my engine is slowly dropping and nouw it's resting on the driving colum.

What can be faulty?

How can i check if it's a broken engine mount?

How difficult is it to replace?

Thank for your help

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

The old type of engine mounts sink over time. They were not of oil proof rubber and so

went pretty quickly. The new type on my VX XE are still fine after 6 yrs.

Plus the new ones are supposed to resist the engine jumping off in the event of a prang... useful as an unshipped engine in a slow speed shunt causes havoc.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Stick your hands in the engine bay and feel the mounts along their entire length. if they're broken you'll feel the break. if the broken section is sitting on top of the other section it's not as easy to see as you might think (I had one of these).

See also advice above for the bit that mounts into the chassis.

If you break one, strongly advise replacing both as the twist if one is broken and the engine cants over strains the other. i replaced them alternately till i replaced both.

When my engine mount broke (K-Series) I was able to grab hold of the top of the engine with both hands and very noticeably shake it from side to side in the engine bay. The car also clunked distinctively only when going round corners in one particular direction.

The rubbers are for sale on the website, the engine mounting brackets are not. I recently had this very same problem - a new bracket was about £20+DRAT.

Is it just me, or is anyone else concerned by these important parts breaking/ fatiguing? The new ones have an additional web welded on the strengthen - how long was the previous mount around before they strengthened the design.

I would recomended periodic checking & replacement of the brackets if it the earlier, none webbed bracket.

Hi Jack, I had the same problem on my 7, bought some new mounting rubbers, which attach to the chassis and carry the weight of the engine, and also cut two discs of sturdy rubber sheet, about 6mm thick, these I installed in the cavity which was on the underside of the mounting rubber components, this has prevented a repeat of that sinking feeling, also had to add a washer or two beneath the mounting bracket where it rests on the rubber, to align the carbs in the bonnet cut out, you might not need to do this, if no bits are poking out the side, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.