Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R500 wheel centres not up the job?

V7 SLR

Heard a story from a guy in Sweden (hi Peter) that Caterham wouldn't supply him with the R500 wheels because they were out of stock. After a bit of digging he heard from a mechanic that they had been prone to breaking, and Caterham's response was to say they were out of stock.

This is all hearsay, but I'm interested in anyone else's comment... like if it is true, why all the R500 owners out there are only driving so gently that they haven't broke any yet. wink.gif

V7

Out of the 19 or so members of R500Owners.com no reports of this including A full race spec car that has compeated in several 100 mile long races, also most of the top races in the 750 use them.

Jason

R500FUN

Thought it might be hearsay, however I know that the early SLR wheel rims failed, but not the hubs. This particular story had the hub as point of failure. I was speaking to a guy in Sweden who had been told this by his importer, who had been told this by..... Chinese whispers? I doubt we'll ever know.

Good to know they're OK, as I want some.

Just make sure you buy them from Mike Barnaby who makes the R500 wheels for Caterham. Apparently there is no exclusivity agreement.

Mike is on 01634 711801.

He quoted me £180 /wheel plus VAT for 7.5" fronts and 9.5" rears.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Temporarily Indisposed Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here