Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Myles - Is it sorted?

mav

Mav - sorry, didn't spot this thread...

Erm, no.

I've ordered the parts from CC (inc. submarine), but they haven't turned up yet and I forgot to ask if/when they'd be in stock... I've spoken to a few people locally (inc. V7) and they seem to think that we can drill the old sucker out with the rail off...

Finding coolant for a complete drain/refill is the hardest bit at the moment.

Meanwhile, I've had to top up the coolant with a tad of de-ionised water to be on the safe-side.

The radiator thermostatic switch is working, so I've taken the hard-wire off the fan.

Meanwhile, my engine seems to have consumed a not-insignificant amount of oil - I haven't got gunk in the header tank etc. - but I'm getting a bit worried about the head gasket???

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Oooh, you lot!

Mav:

>how much oil??

I reckon I poured in perhaps .25 litres - hard to tell, mebbe more, mebbe less, and I didn't measure it as such. The car was slightly off level (drivers-side down) - but I'd have thought this would exagerate the oil-level, not reduce it.

>Have oyu tracked the car before?

Yep - Snetterton last year. However, ISTR that I did a complete oil change shortly afterwards - and so didn't check for any oil-consumption at the time.

>When did oyu last check the level?

Week or two ago? Needed a teeny top-up, but nothing even I'm worried about - and that's the first top-up for quite a while (oil is now 5k-ish old, so I was planning a change today anyway).

>Is there any mayo on the dip stick?

No. Nothing under the oil-filler cap either - not that I'm too sure that there would be...

>Is there any trace of oil in the header tank?

No. Looks fine.

As I said, I'm planning a complete change - maybe this PM - so I can check the condition then...

1/4 of a litre, after a track day ?

Pretty damn good if you ask me. When I had my 1400 up at Anglesey, i think I used about 1/2 a litre on the day itself. Engine had about 60000 miles on it though.

That level of oil consumption is certianly nothing to worry about in the slightest IMHO.

I'll just keep an eye on it then... I didn't have any problems with noisy tappets etc. and the pressure has been fine...

I really don't know how accurate the 1/4 litre estimate is though...

Myles,

You would expect some oil consumption during hard driving. I check the oil after every session on the track, maybe that's a little too frequent but it will give you an indication as to any potential problems.

Also, running too low on oil (especially on track) causes major damage to the bottom end.

Essentially, I think you are worrying a little prematurely, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on it and remember, engines use oil ... and engines that are driven hard tend to use more oil.

What bits do you need? I'm pretty sure I have a new submarine in the garage that I bought ready for the N7XTC rebuild....if you need it urgently then let me know.

PP - I need a submarine, water sender, blanking plug for the ECU sender (I've an old, broken WT sender to blank off the existing fitting in the water rail) and a water-rail gasket...

I still haven't sourced any coolant yet, and I considering changing the foam sump-baffle, so I'll probably phone CC parts today to check out the expected delivery times...

At this point, I doubt I need to borrow your sub - thanks anyway...

ps - Malcolm (who I recognise, but not previously by name) has the exhaust and didn't even offer to buy a pint, the cad *mad* *wink* *tongue* He'll need a good wh(i/u)pping *biggrin*

Myles,

I have a water sender to replace your broken one *smile*

As Andy says a 1/4 litre is neither her nor there. Shame on you for not checking your oil more regularly.

I have used upto 1/2 litre before now on my car - it really does pay to check after each session (Although I now know how my car uses oil on trackdays and it was not driven hard enough last week to warrant my worrying).

If you do a full change, then let it warm up first. that way you get more of the oil out.

Keep an eye on the level - check at least weekly for road use, and per session / every other session at trackdays *wink*

I am duly chastened... *eek*

I thought I *was* checking it with reasonable regularity...

Anyway, CC say the parts have been dispatched - which is a bit of a burger since I wanted a couple of extra bits added...

I just need to find some coolant and get cracking when the bits get here...

...no one ever managed to let me know how to get the last few pints of coolant out of the engine, or how to do a proper flush though...

I don't think you can get the last of the coolant out without taking the head off ... as for proper flushing, pull the chain harder 😬

Seriously though, you could take off the coolant pipes and remove the thermostat and blast it through with a hose pipe to wash away all of the old coolant. I did this and it worked pretty well, then I over-concentrated the coolant a bit with the stuff I put back in.

This isn't a proper flush, but it should do the job.

DO use a thermostat, I wouldn't run the engine without one, people do ... but I guess it's your call.

If you're taking the stat out to flush it out, it's easy enough to change to a cooler one, if you already have an 88°C one in.

A stat is only about £5 too.

Probably worth asking the general concensus on this, maybe check with Nig and JJ on se7ens - they'll know the best answer for sure.

Andy