Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Facet fuel pumps

Blatman

Are there any alternatives to these pumps. I'm on my 4th, and I don't plan on buying a 5th, unless it comes with a lifetime, moneyback, free repair, won't let you down the night before a sprint, guarantee........

As some one suggested a few weeks ago Weber Alpha sell a suitable "lift pump" which I fitted in place of a Red Top. It was about £35 delivers 120 itres/hr at a nominal pressure of 2.5 - 4 psi. I have used it with a Purolator pressure regulator set a 3psi.

The reason I changed pump was more to do with the 6.5psi of the Facet and the mounting, which a previous ownwer placed under the coil. The interference into the tacho was interesting!

I have always found Facet pumps reliable but only if they are mounted vertically. If they are mounted horizontally they fail quite quickly.

It's on carb's, (luddite!) so no swirl pot. 6.5psi is definitely too much pressure for my poor old Webbers. I run a (Malpassi?) Ali bowl Filter King regulator set to approx 3psi. Is FW's idea of a return pipe (to where FW?) with a restrictor, something that would helpquestion.gif

Chris, what is a lift pumpquestion.gif

Edited by - Blatman on 15 May 2001 12:28:18

Actually I was also enquiring (in a somewhat obscure manner I'll grant you !!) whether I needed a Red Top pump to feed an injection swirl pot or whether a lower rated pump would suffice.

I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the lift pump that Chris referred to was the low pressure pump on an injected car with a swirl pot.

The pump I bought was the low pressure pump from a Weber Alpha injection system.

I agree that the only reason that pressure is important is because of Weber and Delorto carbs float valves don't seal correctly at 6.5psi.

I would imagine that the Weber pump may be OK without a pressure regulator but I am too worried to experiment.

I'm not palnning on ditching the pressure regulator whatever the nominal rating of whatever pump I try next.

I'm not confused about flow vs pressure (I don't think.....), but I just plain can't do the maths to work out flow rates. Overloads my miniscule grasp of advanced mathematics. (I can only just about manage credit card billswink.gif) Does someone have an xl spreadsheet or a set of simple equations that I could learn from (if, in fact, conversion from pressure to flow is possible)question.gif And how do I establish what the right amount of flow should bequestion.gif

It's not the simple "you should be using a xxxxxxxx pump 'cos they're the dogs" that I had hoped.

Edited by - Blatman on 15 May 2001 21:08:38

FYI. In conversation with an experienced rally driver (London-Sydney et al) his comments on Facet pumps are that they work fine as long as they are mounted vertically and are used regularly, ie are active for a few minutes at least once a week, otherwise they sieze up. (He ran with two red spot competitions in tandem for 12,000 miles and didn't have any problems, and with an in line regulator for his twin 45 Webers.)

Hi Chris

Yeah, despite my best efforts, the engine was/is great. My driving left something to be desired though, unlike Blatgirl, who inproved her time's with each run (dammit!!).

I trust you had a good day at Brooklandsquestion.gif

The Demon Thieves catalogue lists suitable applications:

Interruptor

Red top - 35 gall/hr - 200+ bhp

Silver top comp - 27 gall/hr - up to 200 bhp

Silver top road - 18 gall/hr - up to 160 bhp

Solid state

Comp - 25 gall/hr

Fast road - 18 gall/hr

Road - 12 gall/hr

From this you can make some guess what you need.

Remember it's only under WOT conditions that you use all this fuel, you're rarely at WOT for more than a few 10's of secs at a time (even if you think you are!!) The float chamber or surge pot will give you a big margin if the fuel pump can't keep up for a few seconds with a transient WOT moment.

Chelspeed

and I don't plan on buying a 5th

I was looking for alternative manufacturers.

From the flow figures you give, the only pump I can use is a red top. (200+bhp atmo cossie on 45's, no surge pot, no budget for injection, yetwink.gif) It's on my hillclimb/sprint car, which is double driven everywhere, so WOT is a very regular occurence, especially with standard ratios in my (soon to be changed for a long first, straight cut) type 9 box.

Sorry if a sound a little "snippy". No offence is intended. I'm just miserable about the poxy fuel pump.sad.gif

I don't do offence so no worries there...

I was quoting the solid state pumps thinking that one of those may do you, but they didn't have bhp's and the interruptors did so I put them in for comparison.

I didn't know what engine you had but with 200bhp I agree that's not appropriate.

It seems to be the last 2-3 years that the Facet ... top pump has lost it way on quality.

So much so I had heard that they are designing a totally new pump...

The 2 Weber pumps I know of are still working after Haggis and are quiet too.

I bought my Weber pump from Aldon Automotive and they seem to think that the pump should be OK for up to 280BHP! My engine is only 160BHP so I can't confirm but it might be worth checking with Webcon.