Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Smokin' K

Gridgway

My 40k miles supersport is a bit smoky on startup. It puffs a little blue smoke. Of course I can't see what happens when driving. It has had a skimmed head job and a bottom end job (both before my tenure). Not sure if the head job included new valve guides.

Is it likely to be valve guides or bores/rings? Any ways of checking? As it's the start of the season and the car is back together after its suspension rebuild I don't really want to do anything till next winter. I assume it'll hold up till then doing a couple of thou miles and a track day or 4?

Tks

Graham

That's not bad mileage for this to start happening, over double an XF *smile*.

I would think a K could keep going smoking for a fair while before action is needed.

It's when it smokes a lot with your foot down you have to do something about it.

Does the K have valve oil seals?

Let us know the progress as the miles mount up.

Jason B's bottom end failed before the top or cyls were a problem.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

• Leadership Team

With a compression tester - nothing fancy for what you're looking for - Halfords do an inexpensive one.

K does have valve stem oil seals. Agree with Dave that it's most likely to be valve guide/seal wear - a very small amount of oil can run down into the bores whilst stopped - hence the blue smoke at start-up. Unless a compression test shows anything else, it's probably best left alone until you have time to do a refurbishment on the head.

Stu.

nah that's ok, I have already sold the engine builder's car plus tools and bits. I even managed to shift some ex-250bhp-k-series-bits to the Michel Delving Mathom-House.

Graham

PS how much do you charge to fit a DVA head and TB's kit then?