Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

installing 1800 K into a ex-1400 car

olij

Hi All

Going to be fitting an 1800K from a Mk2 Elise into a ex-1400K car in the near future, does anyone have before and after photos/links of grinding the block down to fit the starter that they could send me? I'm not sure exactly what this will involve yet so any advice would be appreciated..... I am guessing the best way is a little at a time, testing as I go.

Also, how involved is it to remove the spigot bearing and bush and replace with ones suitable for the ford gearbox. Will any special tools be required?

thanks for any help

cheers

Oli

Remove the 1.4 and use this as a guide to how much needs grinding away to fit the starter motor.

The 1.8 out of the elise will have no spigot bearing what you will need is the special sleeve that shims the rover hole in the end of the crank to size the ford spigot bearing Caterham parts will supply cost is around £10. Some care is needed when driving in the sleeve and bearing or you will just buckle the sleeve. I advise you to file a taper or lead on to one end of the sleeve and adjust its outside diameter using emery cloth until its a good tight fit into the crank.

some care

ROTFLMAO...

Every time I do one of these I bugger it up at the first attempt. My usual routine is to dress the inside of the crank hole with a spiraband on a dremel. Also the sleeves can be quite badly burred, so clean that up. The emery cloth on the outside is a very good plan to.

The bearing can be driven quite effectively using a flywheel bolt (or a flange-head bolt with the same head size but longer). If it doesn't go easly: stop immediately. whip it out. dress the fit a bit more. try again.

• Leadership Team

Oli - use a block of wood to carefully hammer home the sleave, then do the same with the new bearing. There was a comprehensive thread on this one some time ago.

As far as the grinding goes, as Rob says copy the 1.4 when it's out, but also useful to remove the bellhousing from the gearbox and bolt it to the back of the new block to check the starter motor fit. It's not good to discover you can't fit the starter only when the engines in the car 😬

Stu.