Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel Pump Problem

harrog8

it's happened twice now, last time was yesterday at croft track day. Car drives fine for about 70 miles, (which occurred during the 2nd session of track day 50 miles there and 8 or 9, 2 mile laps. thanks to everyone who helped me especially mike and janet who got me home). then car just dies due to fuel starvation, wait about 15 minutes during which fuel pump doesn't prime at all and then the fuel pump will buzz for a shorter than usual time when i turn the ignition on and then run for only about 20 seconds then stop hence the engine dies again, this happened all day. however after a night in the garage go out to try and start it this morning and it starts first time and appears to be running fine again, went out for a half hour drive no problems. will have a longer run tomorrow and try to be close to home at between 60 and 70 miles driving distance to see if it happens again. then i will be sure when i ring the garage on tuesday to book it in for further investigation. has anyone come across anything like this before on a 1600ss and if so what had ended up causing it.

the first time what on the way back from a service, during which i had had fitted the new track day roll bar so i assume that the fuel tank had been removed which might have caused the fuel pump to be knocked.

any ideas will be gratefully received

Thanks

Dave

Dave, Thank Mick and Janet again for me

The fuel tank would not have been removed to install the roll bar or carry out a service. Check the connecting plug at the fuel pump side of the tank and have a look at the inertia switch on the front bulkhead.

is the inertia switch in the same housing as the reset switch?

Is your fuel tank breathing properly?

We had a look at that tried to start it with the filler cap off

What makes you so sure it is fuel starvation that brings it to a halt?

I think it's fuel starvation because just before the engine dies you can hear the fuel pump stop working

Check the battery... always helps. If it is an intermittent fault in an electrical system it is always good to make sure the basics are right.

will do now i'm at home will check that i'm getting a good earth

thankyou for all your suggestions