Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting 5 speed box

excess baggage

As the 4 speed box on my 1700 X Flow has ceased working I intend fitting a 5 speeder to replace it. What probs am I going to encounter? I know this subject has been covered in the past but then I wasn't in the position I am now, so didn't really pay attention to the answers

TIA.

Gary

The mounting is in a different place (3inches further back, it may also need a Sierra clutch friction plate, the output shaft splines may also differ from one box to the other as may the speedometer drive take off. The propshaft may turn out to be the wrong length.

Oily

You need to move the mounting back 80mm, might need a longer speedo cable and will need a gearlever with 3 bolted flange rather than one that screws into the top of the box.

Not sure about the 1 inch spacer between the box and the bellhousing, I know when you need it with the 5 speed box but not the 4 speed.

If you have the spacer with your 4 speed box then, provided it's the 5 speed box with the 3.36 first gear, then it'll be a direct swop with no mods to the bellhousing, clutch, propshaft or reversing lamp wiring.

Hi Gary,

Do you know if you have the 'universal' chassis? If so it will have a second rear gearbox mounting behind the 4 speed one you have fitted. If not you will need to fit a new bracket to the chassis. You will also need to cut out the chassis mounted gearchange bracket with the remote linkage mounting.

Other than that it is a fairly straightforward job. Oh yes you will need a shorter propshaft as well!

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 14 May 2001 12:49:37

On a Di Dion the universal chassis permits different engines to be fitted, not gearboxes.

Only on a live axle does the universal chassis facilitate 4 or 5 speed boxes.

In both cases it is the rear gearbox mount which has two sets of holes.

Forget a 5 speed unless you are going for Quaife internals. The std ratios are totally inappropiate for a Seven.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Temporarily Indisposed Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 14 May 2001 14:13:08

Forget a 5 speed unless you are going for Quaife internals. The std ratios are totally inappropiate for a Seven.

Agreed. Apart from the cruising gear, the 4 speed is better suited to a crossflow. The ratio's are really not as good in the standard 5 speed.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Alex,

It now transpires that the box is not terminal, indeed it is now mended! As you obviously don't rate the Sierra 5 speed box too highly do you have any suggestions regarding an alternative? When I am forced to use a motorway the revs are too high for too long at the legal speed limit.

Gary

The 5 speed box with suitable ratios is a worthwhile upgrade although 5th will be a little high if its indirect (it will be), SPC, Quaife and BGH (Brian hill) all do versions of the 5 speed box with much better ratios, BGH do a long first where just the first gear is raised, a CR box and a Rocket equivalent.

There is some information about BGH boxes on Dave Andrews' website together with a gearing calculation program that will give you speeds in gears for various pre-programmed gear sets (Quaife, BGH etc)..

Oily

I can definitely recommend SPC's Quaiffe made semi helical box. The right ratio's, theoretically stronger than a standard helical box and MUCH quieter than a SC box. If you can wait, I plan to take mine out (and have the leaky case fixed) and sell it in July when SPC are bringing out a heavy duty version with needle bearings. I could be looking to sell mine at that stage - price would be approx £600. price new inc vat is just over £1100. It's not that I need the needle bearing version as the box I have is working beautifully, just a terminal case of upgraditis! smile.gif

For more on the SPC box, see http://www.spcomponents.co.uk/

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) / /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 14 May 2001 23:57:25

Edited by - Alex Wong on 14 May 2001 23:59:16

• 6 months later...

My 4 speed box gave out yesterday, just before a prebooked track day at Brands, so this evening I was mightily P**d off. I was also considering whether or not to fit a 5 speed box to my 1989 1700 Xflow, and then wonder of wonders, I find on this marvellous website the answer to most of my questions, so thank you to those of you who bothered to reply to this thread, however long ago it was.

Andy G