Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brooklands screen

Tony Wright

My Brooklands screen has just arrived 😬

Can anyone tell me what the collar with the small shaft on is for 🤔

I'm also assuming that the 2 small holes in the Stanchion are the locating points for drilling the holes for the inside fixing points for both screens 🤔

Is there a standard method to putting it all together onto the stanchion. 🤔

Sorry for the dumb questions but just want make sure it all goes together without any expensive mistakes 😳

Hello Tony, when you have sorted it out and got the screen fitted, can you let me know how it compares with a normal screen as regards buffeting when driving at speed (without a helmet) I'd love to go the Brooklands route but I find driving at anything over 80 mph without side screens is pretty unbearable ☹️

Cheers, James.

I can tell you its brilliant - I changed mine 5 years ago and would not go back - the breeze is straight on, and by adjusting the rake I can wear a baseball cap up to 100mph, although some like to "tether" them to the roll bar just in case 😬. You will find you get up to 10mph on top speed too - especially with smaller engined cars if you still have revs to spare - its the cheapest "high speed" upgrade you can buy! My speeds at Goodwood get close to 140 on my speedo compared with 128 before BS, and I have 215 bhp - the effect on a K series should be even better. It also feels very fast . . . *tongue*

Rain is not as bad as you would think either - you dont get rain of the inside of the screen as you do with the full size monstrosity, although when it really dumps you try to find shelter!

You cannot use the hood or side screens of course , so that is a further weight saving . . *thumbup*

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . .

Edited by - paul.davis on 12 Apr 2004 07:44:37

Hi Jason, I'll tell her it was your suggestion, perhaps you could pop down to Devon and help me hold her down while I cut it off? Free Savlon, plasters and a lift to Torquay A and E is all part of the deal.

I'm off for my rolling road tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, James. *cool*

Definitely the way to go!

Maggie May got fed up with the tangled hair problem so voluntarily decided to have a shorter haircut *thumbup*. It would be fair to say that she is on 90% in favour of the Brooklands (the other 10% doesn't count as I've sold the windscreen) however, she even manages to fall asleep on a long journey *eek*

Paul,

..and by adjusting the rake I can wear a baseball cap up to 100mph

You're not a short ar5e by any chance are you *tongue*

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here

Drive it like you stole it! *eek*

Don,t know about the 100mph quote, I nearly lost my Oakleys never mind the cap *cool*

I think the biggest difference is the extra view, there are no areas that are unsighted or blocked by the windsvreen stanchions or side doors.

Noise is very overpowering with the doors and screen off and any sort of long journey would necessitate a helmet. For short weekend blasts it adds to the overall experience, you also get a better ear full of the exhaust and induction noise 😬 (as well as a lot of air)

I'm still playing with best angle for the screen and was dissapointed by the fit of the stanchion i.e: daylight visible at both ends where there are gaps of a couple of centimeters. *mad*

Once it's all put together (only one screen turned up) *mad* I think the whole changing process will only take about 15 min's (most time fiddling with the heated screen wires) Thats the main reason for getting it, best of both worlds. If the missus don't like it, allow an extra 15 min's to put the screen back on. *thumbup*

Get some ear protection, or go deaf...

Tinnitus ain't fun, I can assure you... *mad*

It does save money in terms of making future hifi upgrades pointless though *wink*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Edited by - Myles on 12 Apr 2004 20:01:16

Acceptable duration depends on the level of the noise (not surprisingly). I'm not sure what the ambient level is in a Seven (been meaning to take my dB meter out for a blat, but have not done so yet).

In any case, various occupational safety organizations have guidelines for daily exposure limits at various SPL's to prevent hearing loss.

This page here has a table about halfway down of a few of these guidelines at various SPL's as well as a nifty calculator that will give duration if you provide an SPL. Note that these are for more or less constant noise levels. Throw in periodic spikes in the noise level and it gets more complicated. Also, these guidelines are to prevent disability, not subtle reduction in high frequency hearing, etc, so use conservatively.

Dave

I'm glad you've come on to hearing protection. When we first took to aero's we didn't bother with ear plugs as neither my wife or I liked them. Several Le-Septs (1800 odd miles in France) were enjoyed "natural" so to speak. However with several engine/exhaust upgrades the whole thing has got much noisier - not to mention the wind noise.

So after forcing ourselves to wear ear plugs in 2002 we wouldn't dream of driving without them

Ian I live in Germany and ordered it through Seven Cars Dusseldorf. They in turn aquired it through Caterham direct, unfortunatley only one screen turned up with the Stanchion. ☹️

It's now fitted with the one screen and will take a further half hour to re-fit as it's all now pre drilled. "I did'nt want to waste the fantastic weather we are having at the moment" *cool*

Edited by - Tony Wright on 14 Apr 2004 12:07:29

Ian,

There a usually a couple of stalls at Stonleigh (in a Fortnight IIRC) selling the screens.

Mine were £40 each from there a couple of years ago *thumbup*

And while Ignored good advice and bought the stanchion loop, If I did it again I'd just fit them straight to the scuttle. Saving time, weight, money and complication.

Mark

Look it's Mavis here and Jubilee 7 here