Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race Seats

MJG

I currently have the standard Caterham seats (for a 96 K SSP) but am looking at the steal of the windscreen. I want to get lower in the car so wanted to know where I can get either a race seat or one of these foam kits? I tried the new Caterham seats at Stoneleigh last week end which seemed better but the guy on the stand said there was no difference and suggested lowing the floor pan (a bit excessive). Your views welcome.

Foam seats as a rule do not look very pretty, and give no intrusion protection if you are in an accident.

R500 seats are much lower than the upholstered seats, but lowest of all are the older grp or kevlar lowback race seats (or the very similar wider Carbon Component Co. carbon fibre ones) which get your backside about 5mm off the floor of the car.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Temporarily Indisposed Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Arrowstar do foam seats and they can also get them covered (or used to anyway) which looks lovely.

If intrusion thro the floor is the concern then you could fit the honycomb floor, if intrusion from the side is a concern then the side intrusion bar from the race cars gives a lot more rpotection than a thin layer of grp or cf/kevlar.

Needless to say I run a covered Arrowstar foam seat with honeycomb floor and side intrusion bar.....

I had to have thin bench seats fitted to my car for me to be able to drive it.

I've debated changing them for a while but reckon all proper seats will take up too much of the available space (I'm a bit wide myself).

It might be worth trying a car out thus equipped to see if you like it (if you're near Dorking, you can try mine). Old fashioned maybe, but if you have a bit of spare flesh, they work pretty well.

I have a foam pad in my car. It's upholstered in vinyl and just slots into the drivers side and is fixed in place with poppers top and bottom. It's about 2-3 inches thick and is acutally very comfortable. It gives me an extra 2 or 3 inches in height and probably the same in legroom.

I got mine from Caterham Midland (nee CLassic Carriage Co.) 01455 841616. ABout 65 plus Value Added Theft.

Cheers, Davebo.

Graham,

Certain CF race seats (bet you can't guess who's) have a honeycomb layer inside them for precisiely the same purpose!

This was designed in on hearing of Chris Metcalf's back getting a visit from one of his rear wheels a few years ago whgen he hit the armco backwards at Cadwell(?)

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Temporarily Indisposed Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here