Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel nuts Titanium or Alloy.

Phil

I suppose the implication is that with a Ti nut, if you were to over tighten it you'd strip the threads off the stud rather than the nut - a situation more annoying to rectify than vice versa. If one is successfully tightening steel/steel though, I fail to see why you would suddenly start heaving more torque on the nuts just 'cos it's Ti *confused*

That, and the mention of this mystical "correct kind of lube" had me mark that post as a lot of fuss over nothing *biggrin*

Bighead

As someone who has spent thousands on titanium fasteners in the past I have to disagree with you. I have been using titanium fasteners for a long time (I have a nice box of left-overs that are slowly migrating to my car). You would have to be an idiot to strip a titanium fastener. Just as you would have to be an idiot to strip a steel one. As for an M12 nut you would have to be extremely gorilla-like to do that. I'm sure there are some ham fisted people out there that are capable of doing this. Even tyre fitters with air wrenches can't seem to strip an M12 thread. As for the correct type of lube a bit of normal off the shelf grease is all I ever used and never had any problems. Plus I have never seen any type of corrosion on a Ti fastener. I think titanium is better than stainless as it doesn't seem to suffer from bi-metallic corrosion. And its lighter 😬

AMMO

AMMO,

Changed my mind. I'd be interested in a set - if the price is right 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I got a sample Barnby type nut in the post today from Chelspeed (thanks mate *thumbup*). Should be very easy to make a titanium open ended version. Probably use the original washer. I was worried that the washer was somehow captive but it is in fact a loose item. I'll get a price for Ti washers as well.

As I need the tapered type nuts for myself I will have to make two different types.

Hopefully get a competetive quote within the next week.

AMMO

Depending on cost I would like a set of Ford ones.

Just for info, I had a batch (260 approx) of stainless steel sleeve nuts and washers made for my MB wheels last year by a friend in Denmark. We costed these out and sold them for £2.50/nut. By the time we actually got the nuts and had them polished they were more like £5. They were the muts nuts (so to speak) but a bit pricey.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Surrey Joint AO

My CNC man has the samples and drawings. Just waiting for a quote for the machine work. I have to get some titanium bar stock to him as he has to see how it machines. I have made 1mm wall thickness sleeves out of 6Al4V on a lathe in the past with no problems. Machinists all get a bit funny when they hear the word titanium. I have asked for an initial quote for 80 Barnby and 80 Ford nuts just to get an idea of price. The numbers can be adjusted once I know who is having what.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 21 Apr 2004 10:28:10

• 4 weeks later...

Chelspeed

I haven't forgotten. Still working on this. It is turning out a bit more complicated than expected. We will need titanium in two different diameters for the two different types of nut . The titanium comes in various lengths and sold by the kilo. Working out the actual cost depends on how much wastage we are going to have. Still waiting for a reply from my CNC man.

I will post as soon as I have a definate price.

AMMO

• 2 weeks later...
Seemed to have drawn a blank. The CNC man is not interested as he says the material is too tough and cannot estimate tool wear. Will keep trying. Getting my car back on the road is a priority so this may take some time.

I think I must be being very ignorant here, but am curious to know what the difference is in this conversation between a "nut" and a "stud". Is a "stud" just a nut, that's closed at one end.

BTW. A combination of my (not very) ham-fistedness, and, I suspect the pneumatic wrench the last time I got the tyres changed, I have 1 completedly stripped "stud".

To avoid a repeat of the panic that I had at 7:15 last Friday evening, before setting out for Knockhill on Saturday morning, what is the recommended torque for these puppies?