Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel nuts Titanium or Alloy.

Phil

Great minds .....

I've recently become aware of the chrome plating flaking off my standard nuts *eek*

I guess it's due to my use of a socket instead of the toolkit tool.

I found some Stainless ones advertised, but they're NOT cheap and I'd rather endure the chromium plate sticking into my fingers and the messy rust.

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Caterham themselves do stainles ones about £2.50 each, a company called Wheelwright do anodised alloy ones but I wondered if there was any problems with alloy nuts sticking etc, the other problem is they are blue or red coulr and will look a little tacky I think.

Focus WRC uses titanium wheel studs, think they were £30 (each!), when they did a why a WRC costs £400k type article. Not sure what they use for wheel nuts, don't think it will be titanium again as there's a galling problem with titanium on titanium.

I use the standard MB nuts but like others have said they're constantly lightening themselves by shedding the chrome coating.

I have used titanium fasteners on engines and race bikes. Not had a problem with galling. You can titanium nitride coat if a problem arrises. The material was 6Al4V if I remember correctly. I would probably use titanium nuts on steel studs for wheels. Not so sure about ali nuts. They scare me a bit. They get used on rally cars but are probably replaced on a regular basis. I have some titanium metal stock and was thinking about making some wheel nuts. However as the car is still in a million bits it is not high on my list of priorities.

If people are interested I could probably have a batch of Ford type nuts made. Probably not cheap though. I used to get titanium components made in Estonia but prices have gone up a lot recently. There are a couple of companies in Italy who make Ti fasteners. Also expensive.

Get in touch if interested.

AMMO

Guys,

I think MOG supply alloy wheel nuts with their light weight split rims.

They might be able to produce some for other types of wheels as well as their own.

May be worth speaking to Joachim.

Andy

K18 FUN

I've had a couple of people email me that are interested in ti wheel nuts. I will get a quote next week. The more people interested the cheaper the price. I have no idea what sort of money they will come to. I'll post back when I know.

In the meantime anybody else who is interested should get in touch.

AMMO

I'll get a quote for 100 Ti nuts. Thats six sets and a few spares. I will make only the Ford type M12? open ended ones 60 degree? taper. I have a pettern so they will be made properly. I will dimension them for minimum weight in terms of length and may even change to a smaller hex, probably 17 mm instead of 19mm.

Sound OK?

As per usual when I organise these things I do it only so I can get what I want for myself at a reasonable price. If any anonymous Novice should come along and accuse me of making a profit you will be told to sod right off. Hope the position is clear.

AMMO

Will these fit the Barnby wheels? The thread will obviously be the same but Barnby wheels have a flat seated washer and a narrower than normal sleeve so presumably not.

If the currently planned deal works out would you be interested in doing a second lot to suit Barnby wheels? I guess it depends on interest, I'd certainly be up for a set, I can supply a pattern.

Chelspeed

Does the washer rotate or is it fixed? In other words is it a one piece item? I may be able to design the Ford type nut so we can make some of the Barnby type by doing an extra machining operation. Can't tell you without seeing it. Send me a sample if you like. My address is in the Raceco ad in Low Flying.

Nifty

I have no time in my busy schedule for petty pain in the arse types. Life is too short. Just in case some idiot comes out of the woodwork, I don't want to be writing pages of text to justify myself. I've seen what has happened in the past with bulk buys and I have no time for it.

I will of course post a price before I go ahead and order anything.

AMMO

The washer rotates on the nut of the MB wheels. I suspect it'd be a pain to make them and the machining would be a lot of extra hassle. But I'd be interested if you did some...don't have a spare to hand unfortunately.

PS I think your last one to nifty was a tad harsh - he did use smileys :) That said, I can fully understand your sentiments!

*eek*ti nuts steel studs *eek* Be very careful if you use these , 1 there could be a problem with ti/steel corosion if left together for a long time without the correct kind of lube.

2 If the correct torque is not used for these, you stand a good chance of stripping the stud before the nut , therefore giving yourself a right old pain in the 🙆🏻 job of replacing the studs.

But having said that YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY *tongue*