Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bikesheds.net

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry (aka "The Headmaster") is an old friend of mine who i luckily bumped into again on Blatchat before i bought the car for Jen and BEFORE i became a club member.

He's in a sticky spot, and it's not his fault *confused*

Uncle Baz - If i can be of any help, just shout (same as always) 😬

Long live blatchat, long blat the live, whatever .... *confused*

And now you'd better believe us... We're gonna win the cup

See Barbarella here...

you seem pretty cheesed off with the club. Why not ask for your money back?

Not the club, just what is happening at the moment ☹️

I think it is the wrong thing to do, won't work, will cause other problems and resentment .

And as there are no other forums to express my opinion, then I use Chitchat. Am not one to sit around and say nothing if I don't see something as right.

if you look at the budget blatchat isn't that expensive compared to the money the club gets each year. even compared to the money it gets from the approx 10% of people that use it regularly.

I'd happily have blatchat instead of low flying if that balanced the costs (although I've had no more than a peep at a proff of the new low flying - and the hoopylight has a FAB spot on the cover - just on the left had edge of the 'L' of low flying *smile*)

but its not a cost thing - they're worried about getting sued. I don't see how members only stops you getting sued....

HOOPY R706KGU Hoopylight R

Your IP address provides traceability. The site says that it is logged every time you make a post. If things go legal, then this is a route to trace. It is trickier than having a name and address on file.

I would have tought that having a notice and take-down procedure would be sufficient protection for the club in cases of libel. It seems to work for the ISPs.

I have mailed the Club Secretary to find out more (posted on the thread upstairs, too)

My ... Preciousss!

Actually db my IP address provides buggery all traceability - suppose I am an ntl cable modem customer, my IP address is dynamic and in their wisdom ntl force it to refresh every few hours (or whatever the timescale). There is nothing to say I'll get the same IP address again next time. Would my ISP (ntl in this case) maintain a log of who had what IP address at a specific point in time? They might, but that's rather alot of info to keep a hold of.

moomin

www.megabird.co.uk

I have always assumed that the purpose of making it members only is deterrent. If they have pre-authorisation or verification procedures in place before logging you as a member, you then know that you can be tracked down if you post something inappropriate. I think the logic is therefore that members will want to avoid that, and will therefore be more careful. It will not stop the club being sued if something bad is posted, but it should reduce the careless posts.

I assume *wink*

Poopoo-san and his not quite black and white cat

Ah, a glimmer of light has broken from the East, it is na(PP) ... think I will stop there.

Think I can grasp that. As a club member during the *arrowright** incident, I was obviously very interested in what was going on, BUT I didn't want to get the club (my club) into trouble.

If a member somewhow brings the club crashing down, they have something to lose, whereas a non-member has little ? Therefore the member is going to be more circumspect ?

Seems a bit harsh *confused* But I guess I can go with that.

Edited by - Noger on 8 Apr 2004 10:46:45

IP addresses assigned by ISP's are traceable. they have to keep a log of who and when with what.

Your work ip address may well be hidden but you will leave an ip address and that can be traced back to you. Trust me I know!!

Noger, I understand.

IP addresses are not traceable. Your provider does have to maintain logs of who's using which IP at any time, but there are plenty of services out there which allow you to type a web address into a box on a page and you then appear to the (eg Blatchat) server to be using a different IP address to the one that you are actually using.

If the issue is traceability, and the management would consider a two-tier membership, does anyone have any knowledge of accepting payments over the net to make things easier?

Maybe the management could offer a reduced price for 'blatchat only' membership, this amount to be deducted (pro rata) if the 'BC member' decides to upgrade to a full membership.

who can forget that famous saying, by your crap spelling shall ye be known *wink*

... and on the topic of members only, although I accept what I say *tongue*, I believe it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. In return for a relatively small reduction in risk, I think Blatchat will wither and die ☹️

Poopoo-san and his not quite black and white cat

Ok - so IP does provide traceability (although in fact you might need to be the Police* to do that trace).

Does anyone know why the "notice and take-down" procedure would not be appropriate legal defence? In this case, L7C would take-down any offending post as notified to them. It bolsters the defence that they cannot monitor everything that is going on, and are not deliberately publishing libellous content. The known down-side is that if they are not to have to take down every post requested to be taken down (how many would this be?), then they must make a judgement call on whether a post is libellous.

To me, taking-down every post that is notified as libellous by a solicitor's letter would be better than banning all non-members, and leaving a gaping liability hole.

* or any one of a bunch Government agencies - possibly including my local greengrocer, I'm not sure how far it goes - after the RIP Act.

My ... Preciousss!