Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2nd throttle return spring - photos

robert green

I also have quite a few pics from when I did my installation a few months back.

If you want them email me by end of tomorrow otherwise it will be a few days before I can get back to you.

Alan and his Yellow and Green BDR.

My Westfield had a Caterham manifold and linkage setup on it for ages until I decided that I waned to use external springs because I had a couple of the internal ones on the Weber’s break. I replaced the bottom mounted Caterham setup with a top mounted one. This has transformed the way the car drives as the throttle is now lighter, has much less travel and is more progressive in its action. The car feels quicker because of the short throttle movement needed to fully open the butterflies!!

Have a look at http://www.jtccc.freeserve.co.uk/page2.html to see how I fitted the spring arrangement. I did not want to use springs at the far end of each carb because of recommendation from several people that this twists the throttle spindles leading to a lumpy tick over.

Tony

Edited by - Tony L on 7 Apr 2004 17:24:09

Edited by - Tony L on 7 Apr 2004 17:26:21

Edited by - Tony L on 7 Apr 2004 17:27:31

I don't think the Redline kit can be the Weber one as that is more like £55 😳. I had no choice at the time, but was still shocked.

It is easy to fit, bolts straight in place, but it is fiddly fitting both cables and making sure they are equal lengths, etc.

I changed so much at the time that I can't say I noticed a change. The engine was new, as was the suspension but the pedal feels the same as it did before.

And if a cable breaks, I have a second already in place *thumbup*

Phil Waters

I got the kit from Redline Components a few weeks back.

Approx prices: Lever = £17 & Aditional spring £2.50. But subject to VAT + P&P.

When I phoned Caterham they said they no longer supply these parts due to lack of demand. I'd have thought differently after the number of posts & comments over the last few months.

Phil the weber kit for £55 is much more comprehensive as it uses twin throttle cables. I spoke to James Whitting about this kit and it needs some modification to the brake peddal connection to make it work properly.

If all you want is MSA compliance then 2 external springs with a single throttle cable is enough. If I was racing then I think I would want the twin cable set up.

Alan and his Yellow and Green BDR.

Edited by - Alan L on 8 Apr 2004 00:36:42