Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trying to find 1st Seven

Mark Turner

Hello everbody,

I am looking to buy my 1st seven, having been converted from Impreza Turbo land, wanted for road use and maybe a track day or too in the future. I've looked at all the usually places Caterham (obviously, but top end prices) Woodcote, Nutley, Old Coach House, Auto Trader, Low Flying. Spoke to Chris at 7 workshop as well (top bloke, loads of good advice).

Looking for a private sale, genuine, well cared for low miles, X Flow 1700 SS, De Dion, Cycle, 5 speed, 97 onwards car - Would like Leather and Harness, not bothered by colour, but pref all paint not ali/paint.Not Q plate.

would consider converting clam to cycle and cloth to leather as well as putting in harnesses, can you also get the ali painted, if so any idea on price? Prefer minilites to prisoner wheels as well.

Yes I know this going to be difficult but someone must have a good one out there. Up to 12K.

Otherwise I'll add up to 3k and go for a 1.6 / 1.8K SS 140 BHP late car, which I can add power to later, with high spec

😬

I really would prefer a X Flow though

Cheers

Edited by - Mark Turner on 6 Apr 2004 20:20:48

Choose the best at those prices.

Yes you can paint ali.

Cycle/clams conversion is costly unless you are doing cosmetic stuff anyway, in which case it's affordable. But buy the car with the wings you want.

Xfs start to go out of fashion after early 90s. After that ks came into vogue. Are you sure about age? The reason I say this is that a 2001 can be bloxed if it's been abused and a lot of older XFs have fallen into the hands of the "knowledgeable enthusiast" who has maintained it with loving care and attention. These can be a good buy. Think in terms of 10k for a very nice one (private)

Watch out for smoky XFs, they have (or had) pistons from the original 65bhp engine you last saw in a crap Escrot and they wear out in 20k. Replacement is a rebuild and expensive.

Don't worry about detail spec, this is changeable at modest cost and part of owning this type of car. Leather seats are abou 400 a set secondhand, cloths a little under half that. Harnesses are cheap enough and easy to fit. Most have em anyway.

Sierra type 9 has lousy ratios, only the middle 3 are any use. One with modified ratios is a better bet. 4spds are nearly as good IMO and cheaper to buy (obviously). Again, easy changeover from a scrappy box.

Wheels are always doing the rounds here, they are the least of your worries. About £150 gets you a set of Minilite copies.

Oh and have fun.

Cheers, thanks very much for your advice.

I actually bought a seven today, from Caterham Midlands I was as suprised to find a 2001 car with a 1700 X flow engine, car has done 2300 miles built by a Caterham Agent. Car came in yesterday so not preped, sounded good and looked cared for, with good spec.

Hope I've done the right thing, only time will tell *thumbup*

Cheers, thanks very much for your advice.

I actually bought a seven today, from Caterham Midlands I was as suprised to find a 2001 car with a 1700 X flow engine, car has done 2300 miles built by a Caterham Agent. Car came in yesterday so not preped, sounded good and looked cared for, with good spec.

Hope I've done the right thing, only time will tell *thumbup*